Glow Worm Easicom 28 Fault: CH Increasing Pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone can comment on this to help me diagnose a little problem I have. The above boiler has been in place for a good 2-3 years (possibly longer) and has given pretty good service for both hot water and heating. The only thing I have done is clean out the Magnaclean a couple of times a year and on one occasion a few years ago, clean sludge that had built up around the back of the PRV (on that occasion I was getting slow drop in CH pressure)

Anyway this recent occurrence is one of over pressure up to about 2.8 - 3.0 bar

I have dropped the pressure back down to 1 bar, using a drain valve at the bottom of the rad near the back door, but the pressure rises again especially once the heating has kicked in. I have dropped the pressure a few times and the first few times it did stay low for a while however it is now increasing pretty rapidly.

From past experience I believe there are only a few reasons for an increase in pressure;

* Water is adding to the CH side because the valve(s) on either side of the filling loop are weeping

* The expansion chamber is leaking or needs re-pressurising

* The heat exchanger is leaking internally and passing water to the CH side

Is there a sure fire way to diagnose this? Heat exchangers for this model aren't too expensive but I believe its a beggar to fit. I could test the pressure on the expansion vessel or indeed add some pressure to see if that made any difference?

I do not suspect the filling loop valve but again that would be relatively low cost to swap out.

I guess I could just swap the filling loop / valve then test the expansion vessel pressure before doing anything else?

Any help appreciated...

Tia!

Sponsored Links
Process of elimination really. Do as you suggest ,disconnect f/ loop ( is it external to boiler )? And check the EV charge pressure ( you should drop system pressure first ). See what those establish.

OK will do - have to wait a few days as I am out at work. Will come back with my findings assuming I don't crack it - will reply either way.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Sponsored Links
One thing I forgot to mention in addition to the main symptom [ie incerase of pressure] is the following;

The mixer tap on the bath, for the shower, when showering the difference between very hot and tepid is now a matter of a few millimetres adjustment of the hot tap. So, start with the cold on full, then adding hot it is a right faff to get a nice hot shower without either scalding yourself or getting luke warm water. I am fairly sure that this was not the case some years ago?

This has started to make me think it is indeed the heat exchanger leaking... could still be wrong - and still not had time to check out the first two. Looks like it will be the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back