Glow-Worm Economy 40 Boiler fires for 5 Mins then switchs of

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some help. I have a GW E40 Boiler and it only seems to stay heating for around 5 minutes and then clicks off. I then have to wait for around 10mins before it will fire up again.

The pilot is lit and burning well. The Pilot thermocouple is new.

I'm looking for suggestions to try before calling a Corgi plumber.

Thanks in advance.

Mat

p.s. I've tested the electrical supply from the timer to boiler and also from the temp selector to the gas inlet valve (i think thats what its called ;) )

Sponsored Links
After looking at some similar posts I'm drawing towards two possibilities. One is the pressure release valve and the other is the pump.

The pump does appear to be running, could it be running too slow to keep the boiler lit? How do I go about checking for sludge?

As far as the pressure release value, it seems like I'd need an engineer to replace this but is there anything I can check to confirm this is at fault?

Also I was thinking of replacing the Boiler Stat the one that's sunk in the return pipe, would that help?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as the missus is giving me ear ache!

Thanks in Advance

Mat

Just because a pump appears to be spinning does not mean it is working properly.

Check FAQs on how to check a pump.

Sponsored Links
Checked the pump as with the FAQ and all seems OK.

The Boiler Stat and Overheat stat have been replaced.

Now i'm Lost!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back