Glow Worm Economy Plus EP40F Pump Over-Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this is a carry on from my other thread as the title is wrong now as I don't seem to have a 'Pumping Over' problem, thread here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=173134

What I'd now like to check is if the Boiler Pump Over-Run is working correctly, does it even have one? :)

This is what seems to be happening:

When the room stat stops calling for heat, the pump seems to stop instantly when the boiler shut down, it waits 15-20secs then starts for another 10secs, this senario results in banging in the boiler.

If I turn the stat up and let the boiler turn off itself the pump continues to run, and then I get no noise.

Any help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
As far as I can remember it does have a pump over run. It is a basic one combined with the main boiler stat.

Thanks,

I can't find the manual for my boiler but looked at a Energysaver manual, it seems to read under the pump over run section that it only works when the Boiler stat is set to Max? would this be the same for my boiler?

The control thermostat has a pump overrun facility built into it, when the control thermostat is set at maximum only, the pump overrun will keep the pump running to allow the boiler to cool down after which it will stop, providing the remote controls are NOT calling for heat.

Can't remember exactly how or when it cuts in, but I'm sure it's temperature dependent (system temp).

Sponsored Links
I've just been checking the wiring as I fitted a new controller some time ago and wondered if I wired the pump wrong some how, I've found the switched live and the pump wire and they seem to be connected ok, well the boiler is running the pump at least so I'm still thinking it is something to do with the over run stat, maybe it is a bit slow to act?

Pump live should be from the boiler. Is this how yours is wired?

Yes pump live is connected to the boiler I've traced it back to the connection in the boiler.

So it does look like it is all working, just not sure if the delay is normal, it seems the short delay before the pump kicks in is enough to get boiling in the heat exchanger, I'm thinking this is just a side effect of a furred up exchanger maybe?

I've just been finding other niggling faults along the way :) I am hoping the vent pipe sat in the header tank was what was causing the corrosion/furring and that fixing it means a clean might work

Pump should start at the same time as the boiler gets the signal to fire. If boiler water is above a set temperature when boiler switches off, pump over run keeps it going.

Pump should start at the same time as the boiler gets the signal to fire. If boiler water is above a set temperature when boiler switches off, pump over run keeps it going.

Yes it starts when the boiler fires, and when the room stat stops calling for heat it stops when the boiler stops, then we get a bit of banging then the pump starts for short while and the banging stops then the pump stops again until the room stat calls for heat again.

For now I have turned the room stat right up and turned the boiler right down letting the boiler stat do the work which keeps the pump running in between, this stops any banging

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back