Glow-Worm Gas System Isolation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A recent gas service by a nationally branded gas service provider has resulted in a non compliance and isolation of my 20 year old Glow-Worm balanced flue central heating boiler located in my garage.
The reason given by the service engineer was failure of the room seal of the appliance due to a rust hole in the back plate. I am now retired having previously worked in analyser maintenance for 30 years in the petrochemical industry so appreciate the hazards of explosive and toxic gases. I could see no logical reason why I could not make an effective repair to the back plate to reestablish the room seal criteria.

I judged this hole to be repairable but was not allowed to pursue this option and under threat of isolation by Transco which would eventually lead to reconnection fees of £2,000 I reluctantly agreed to the isolation and capping of the gas supply to the unit. !!!

I was advised by the service engineer that he could arrange for an urgent quotation for a replacement boiler and within 24 hrs the quotation was available and under discussion with the sales arm of the gas service provider. It transpired that the usual discounts ,over 60, point of sale sign up now, were available. As I was obviously extremely disgruntled at the manner in which a gas service visit had developed into major expense the sales rep made a further discount offer. It seemed that he could get vouchers from the inspection arm of gas service provider as a further discount of £200 ???

Questions posed by this experience are.

Does it really cost £2000 pound to get reconnected by Transco ?
Does the gas service code prohibit repairs to be made to reestablish room seal criteria ?
Anybody know what these vouchers are ?

Sponsored Links
It would never cost £200 to reconnect unless you have refused to have it turned off indoors and they did that in the street. In reality they would not do it if there was no leak.

Only a manufacturers approved repair can be done to a boiler. Obviously yours will not be and you would be operating illegally if you tried.

BG are not the only people who install boilers. Their prices are the highest.

If you are on benefits then you may qualify for a free Warmfront installation.

All small firms can undercut BG by about £1000.

BG staff get a commission for arranging for a quotation visit.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back