British Gas

ollski

"The truth is David I couldn't, in all honesty, give a monkeys nuts what you did but you have put yourself in the firing line thats all I'm saying. "

VERY TRUE ....!!! WELL SAID !!!

an if house blows up before Corgi turn up ...

you go straight to jail dont pass go £200 pound ..lol being an indie fitter there are no chance cards (BG to bail you out )

being an indie fitter
help where you can
you aint a Hero if its a part/ boiler say so ..
wether they are near deaths door an no heating ... inform Social Services
your a gas fitter not social worker /best mate to everyone you meet ,

but NEVER do this kind of thing , its wrong on so many levels ..lol

Sponsored Links
OK, well thats me put straight!

Cheers for all your input guys.

Dave

Moz, don't take offence, but this doesn't make sense:

Moz said:
the Gas board now is BG ......a purely money making driving force ....
they have killed what was a very good business ....
My point is that The Gas Board wasn't a business - it didn't make a profit.

I agree that it's a pity that the British Gas was privatised, and I disgreed with the action at the time, but the current debacle is Thatcher's doing, not the people who now work at BG - if it's a money-making business then it's achieving its goal.

I have no problem with however much money BG make.

I have a problem with their engineers lacking knowledge to service an appliance properly.

My father left BG and took redundancy as, an engineer he wasnt 'selling enough boilers'. Constant pressure from management due to the fact he could repair and not reccommend replacement boilers caused management problems.

Yet, the words British Gas (a company which no longer exists although commonly recognised) are untouched and purely aloof to rest of the gas industry.

Their power has been proved on this thred, and whilst I accept Ive done wrong It does not take away the lack of incompetency from BG

David

Sponsored Links
BG are still trading on the public perception that they are The Gas Board, especially on the part of the more senior members of society (I stopped saying old when I turned 50!). They have changed so much since those days that there is no justification for it, yet it enables them to sell gas and gas services at a premium.

Perhaps if gas privatisation had involved the creation of a number of regional companies as with electricity we wouldn't have to operate under the shadow of a near monopoly operator like BG. I feel rather sad and a little angry that so many elderly people are taken in by their marketing and pay over the odds for gas and services.

BG is a corporation (Centrica) and they exist to make a profit and pay the dividends to the shareholders. The bottom line is the be all and end all
How many times do you see BG on rogue traders for selling a boiler that may have been repaired? How many times have trading standards questioned their working practices?

None, because they are huge and can tie them up with top flight lawyers and by the time the lawyers have decided there might be a case to answer most plaintiffs have gone skint!

still that said I do find that most BG guys and gals are of a good heart and love their job, its the managers I cant stand (and I do know a few) they are without doubt the most obnoxious arrogant bunch of tossers I have ever meet, they make lor and BOB look like reasonable men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corgiman said:
How many times do you see BG on rogue traders for selling a boiler that may have been repaired? How many times have trading standards questioned their working practices?

None, because they are huge and can tie them up with top flight lawyers and by the time the lawyers have decided there might be a case to answer most plaintiffs have gone skint!

Well twice on watchdog to my knowledge cm, and it was trading standards who stopped engineers earning a commission on sales a few years ago.

I am always slightly curious as to why making a profit is a bad thing, we all need to do it to make a living and at least it's a still British company. Plus all my money is in shares so roll on.

Technically 'centrica' owns the 'british gas' brand name [very valuable]. I left in 1995 when deregulation came in. In fact initially privatisation made things better as an employee, suddenly a bit of cash came our way, new vans, uniform, tools. Deregulation shot the industry, we could see where it was going, I wanted none of it so left [ to transco]. The quantity of daily work the lads are asked to do is what causes the problems. If you see Sid, tell him its sh*te :D

ollski said:
corgiman said:

Well twice on watchdog to my knowledge cm, and it was trading standards who stopped engineers earning a commission on sales a few years ago.

I am always slightly curious as to why making a profit is a bad thing, we all need to do it to make a living and at least it's a still British company. Plus all my money is in shares so roll on.

not saying its a bad thing oll just that its unfair, most little guys get pillored for high quotes and condeming boilers but the big lads never seem to be held to account.

Profit is good its the unfairness I hate

Soggy_weetabix said:
...the words British Gas (a company which no longer exists although commonly recognised)...
Really? The following web site is in conflict with your opinion: www.house.co.uk

because it says this:
[code:1]Welcome to British Gas

see our products and services, manage your bills online and find all the advice and information you need with house.co.uk
[/code:1]

Regards usage of the name.. Centrica have the right to call themself British Gas within the uk but never outside it....BG plc who are an now an exploration company can call themself British Gas outside of the UK but must only call themself BG within UK.All to do with perception of brand name . Tranco have just kept the name TOFO. :LOL:

I just call myself british Gass then.

Make millions.

Buy the AA off BG then the and RAC (cos I can)

Retire on 40 islands in the indian ocean I have bought, and never worry about a blocked cold feed again. (Or the fact robershaw gas vlvs cost the price of a small extension).

David

Yes Corgiman! We could be a foce to be reckoned with!

But what about a gasket change?

Dont you go shy on me now!

6 hours on saturday but that was a tricky one. Beats watching my footie team though!

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back