British Gas service ruined my boiler!

at first I thought there was a switch that eh BG man had put back to does this, as the pilot light never went out when I took the cover off before.

What was the reason you used to take the cover off before?

I think Im confusing matters saying cover ... this is the pull off plate that just covers the unsightly controls. the only reason I have needed to remove this in the past was to either switch the temp down in hot summers (or put it up again at winter) or if the pilot light blows out - the vent on the outside of the house catches the wind and when it is VERY windy outside sometimes the pilot light blows out. it dont happen that offen.

the point im saying is that there is no switch, etc that would switch the pilot light off when Im pulling that cover off - unless its some type of bad connection that Im doing something to when Im flexing the case as Im pulling the panel off.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering how gasguru described fault and knew grey push button before picture was even possted there was no indication what boiler it was etc.etc
And if this is a gravity system the overheat should be disconnected some people reconnect it by mistake.
But the connections on these are a pain and need to be just right otherwise pilot drops out ...
But you say pilot is on with no heat this would suggest motorised valve motor

Just wondering how gasguru described fault and knew grey push button before picture was even possted there was no indication what boiler it was etc.etc

Ain't a guru for nothing. ;)

(The OP told us in a previous posting :) )

Sponsored Links
And if this is a gravity system the overheat should be disconnected some people reconnect it by mistake.
But the connections on these are a pain and need to be just right otherwise pilot drops out ...
But you say pilot is on with no heat this would suggest motorised valve motor

my heating system is basic ... very basic... my boiler heats the water that constantly heats my water tank up for hot tap water, and a motorized valvue (helpfully installed under the floorboards on the top of the stairs) shares the boiler hot water to the rest of the rad system.. basically I got a digital room stat that sets certain temps throughout the day to control the motorizes valvue, i got a digital heating timer under the stairs that switches the boiler on and off at certain times. I got a pump ontop of the boiler.
if I have a pump does this mean I have a pumped system or a gravity system or is it the same thing? I assume its a pumped system and its not a gravity system.

I looked at one last week with pilot problems which had baffled 3 previous "ENGINEERS"!!

It was on gravity circs with limit stat still connected !!

Been like it from new but blokes girlfriend has now moved in and turned boiler up!!

I had to show him the manual because he did not believe me !!

I apologise,i wasnt meaning to tell post how to do it,i was asking if like the apollo it has same t/c fitted

Alan, you have said in some of your posts that you are CORGI registered.

However some of the suggestions that you make are not what is expected from someone registered with CORGI.

Are you a member of ARGI ?

Tony

I do apologise, i will start taking this more seriousley as someone could hurt themselves if they try something and dont know what there doing

right so is this conceivable.

1) if I have a little header tank in my loft to feed my heating system - I have a gravity fed heating system?

2) BG man accidentally or on purpose plugged the overheat thing back in, that some of you say is not supposed to be in use for a gravity fed system ?

3) because this device has been put back in use - its tripping out as would be expected being connected to a gravity fed system. ?

so is it conceivable that hes connected that - and if so how can I get it disconnected, should i ? ...

I don't know anything about boilers but if you have a service contract with BG why don't you just phone them up and say that since the engineer was in servicing the boiler, it's not working. Would it not be safer to do that than try to tinker in the boiler and maybe do something wrong. Hell, you're paying them for the service - use it!

i know little of this boiler Im not a domestic engineer
but as far as Im concerned this is a pilot interuptor
its safety device
the gritish bass guy had to reinstate it by law
if you dont have a pump and this is what happens when it is properly fitted then you have an unsuitable boiler for your system.
get an engineer in and get it sorted.
or play hell with bg who should have spotted this defect...

i know little of this boiler Im not a domestic engineer
but as far as Im concerned this is a pilot interuptor
its safety device
the gritish bass guy had to reinstate it by law
if you dont have a pump and this is what happens when it is properly fitted then you have an unsuitable boiler for your system.
get an engineer in and get it sorted.
or play hell with bg who should have spotted this defect...

Manufacturers instructions TELL you to disconnect the limit stat if on gravity!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back