potterton flamingo 50 boiler problems with firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could anyone who knows about potterton flamingo 50 boilers offer advice on problem I have with mine? It is an old boiler but apart from CH pump and a couple of thermocouples has served us well (it has no vents on outside of boiler just flue to outside).

The boiler wouldn't fire up when switched on. The pilot light is on. There is electricity to switches (HW/CH) and CH pump works (water moving round system).

Have BG service contract so called them out and BG man said gas supply valve is faulty, after he had took bottom casing of boiler off (it covers electric board etc not main boiler casing). He has to order one so it is being fitted Monday.

The reason I'm posting is that its now come back on!! :) It worked for a bit then after getting hot went off (set at full on boiler dial) taking pilot light with it (which it had not done before) :cry: . I reduced settings to 2 then relit pilot light, it now seems to be working (coming on going off without pilot light going out).

Does this mean gas valve is just sticking and still needs replaceing or did BG man get it wrong and in taking bottom cover off fix dodgy electric connection? (no obvious loose wires and he didn't touch much). I have no gas or plumbing background so don't want to tell a BG man he was wrong if he's not. :?:

Have looked at some other posts on potterton and they cover broken pumps and insulation drop off (!) :eek: , my pump is working and no obvious slab of insulation on top of burner. Can't work out why it is not working, then working without tinkering?? Front of casing gets hot when heating water but we normally have it on full whack (5) when heating water (to speed up process).

Sponsored Links
I would imagine your bg man did a quick check to make sure there was 230v to the gas valve which failed to open. If so then it's a sticky gas valve and best to replace.

Sponsored Links
BG must be getting really tight with van stock,This used to be a basic van stock part. 99% of time it will only need the operator and take 15 mins .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back