Pilot Light Problem - Old Boiler - Glasgow Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

With the heavy winds on hogmany our pilot light blew out and we cannot get it to light again.

The boiler is an ancient Thorn M30-42B,

When ignighting to light the pilot we are getting a small shock through the casing of the boiler (i presume this is not right).

British gas came out under homecare 200 but said it was too old for them to cover and cancelled my policy.

We really cannot afford a replacement boiler (or pipework/rads) as we were quoted £2k

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Soounds like your electrode lead has come adrift
(runs rear of push button to pilot area)

the electrode is into the boiler and generates a good spark (however coming up the casing).

does the electrode normally have a gasket or somthing round so that it doesnt touch the side of the boiler? im pretty sure were getting gas but just that the spark is travelling through the casing instead of jumping through the pilot area and ignighting.

is it too dodgy to stick in a lighter through the glass?

You should be able to light this with a long match/taper

Sponsored Links
if you dont hear from me again, you know the outcome, i can see the headlines now

"Renfrew man blows up his house after advice on the net!!!"

Im sure all will be fine

guys

wooo hoooooo managed to light the pilot myself, house getting nice and warm

thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back