Help -Apollo 30/50b pilot light wont stay alight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reading our post would really appreciate some advise here as our wall mounted gas boiler dosen't seem to hold the pilot light anymore.

We have tried to do everything as the manual says but as soon as we let the gas valve go after holding it for some 2-3 min it comletely goes out.

I have noticed that whilst the gas valve is pushed IN the flame is alight .

upon ignighting the pilot light the flame seems Blue and quite good.

Is this an expensive job to fix as the boiler has been very good in the past however, could not afford a new one at this moment in time.

Can anyone put me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Jas

Sponsored Links
Probably not expensive to fix, but it's a boiler you need to leave to a pro. Those boilers kill people.

Sponsored Links
Probably not expensive to fix, but it's a boiler you need to leave to a pro. Those boilers kill people.

thanks chris , will get a corgi out any idea what the fault might be due to and cost involved?

If we were called to an Apollo boiler which was still working, then we would cure the problem within our routine service fee of £55 but delay the visit for about a week until a convenient time.

However a boiler which is not working is a repair job and we charge £84 but come quickly and usually on the same day.

As its a quiet time, being summer, there are a few who cannot afford to go on holiday and are desperate for some work who might do it rather cheaper.

I met a decorator yesterday who only charges £50 per day but was out of work. Maybe the recession is biting?

Tony

As its a quiet time, being summer

Speak for your self, I'm working 7 days a week and evenings trying to keep up with demand, even giving jobs away to others that I cannot take on :cry:

why? i thought this was the tame BF model.

SOrry!
You're right of course, I missed the "b"! :rolleyes: :oops: :oops:

A callout, maybe £40 - £70 depending where and who, plus parts maybe £10 - £40 depending what gets cleaned or replaced.

Worst case is it is the gas valve gone and depending on which model(£80 max).
Allthough some of these are getting on for 30 year old they are a very good boiler and absolute piece of cake to repair. So labour cost should be minimum.

No what the op will now have is a rough idea of what will be the cost and not have some rip off company telling him gas valve is 200 quid or ****** etc 50 quid plus and non of these parts take more than half hour to strip and have all back together and workin.

No what the op will now have is a rough idea of what will be the cost and not have some rip off company telling him gas valve is 200 quid or ****** etc 50 quid plus and non of these parts take more than half hour to strip and have all back together and workin.

thank you very much to all of you and thanks namsag for understanding my situation as i want to be on my guard this time since my mum had a similar experience with hers on her anual inspection and the guy tried to sell her a new boiler rather than servicing her existing one. She just refused and another guy just charged her 50 quid to service her boiler and cleaned a
thermostat. the boiler is still working fine after 3 years ...makes you wonder huh :eek:

Unfortunately a few people who normally install boilers and mostly do not have repair skills, try to rip people off.

They go to repair or service a boiler but on arrival they say the boiler is beyond repair ( or dangerous ) and want them to pay them for a new boiler, often at an inflated price.

Thats very unfortunate but the customer can take some care selecting whom they call. Even British Gas customers are not immune to this.

Of course, sometimes the boiler is beyond economic repair but in that case the relevant costs should be discussed with the home owner.

Tony

I give that information in a form that will not immediately enable the owner to attempt any repair.

e.g. There are three parts any of which might have failed or need cleaning or readjustment. They all cost less than £20 each.

Its unlikely, but might be the gas valve, which costs under £100.

I appreciate that you can buy them cheaper but those working in high cost areas have to add a retail margin. Many of the call out firms charge 100% markup.

Tony

Simple if i want to make X amount on a job i say the part is that amount and i want this amount.
I dont lie and say i am charging you £84 quid to diagnos and repair this and then adding !00% onto part cost because then you are not making only £84 and so have lied to the customer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back