British Gas service ruined my boiler!

I just would like to understand better whats going on with it - so I dont feel like a total ignoramis when the bloke comes back are starts 'oooing and aaaaahhhing' and saying I need a whole new boiler.

Sponsored Links
Of course it is which is why we are now 6 days later and you have not had them back out. After all whats the worry at this time of year :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Of course it is which is why we are now 6 days later and you have not had them back out. After all whats the worry at this time of year :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

its hardly like its totally dead - its an irritation - besides they aint gonna be coming out xmas day.

I will phone em.

Why would they not come out on Xmas day? They advertise that fact loud and clear on the telly!!!

Sponsored Links
Why would they not come out on Xmas day? They advertise that fact loud and clear on the telly!!!

no heat, no hot water, at risk customer. thats it. the rest go cold.

They also advertise that they will repair any one fault, no matter how big or small the job, for a fixed upfront fee inc. labour & parts. However, when I booked a call recently and had £l68 debited to my a/c in advance, after waiting several days for the engineer to turn up he told me the problem was a faulty motorised valve which wd have to be replaced which wd entail draining down and as that wd take more than an hr he couldn't do it. No apologies, no offer to quote for an extra charge and/or come back another day to do it. Just bye-bye and he wd arrange a refund. In my book, that's sharp practice, breach of contract and misleading advertising. I complained and the person who phoned me back said she wd draw the ad. to the attention of her manager. Again, no sympathy or help. Couldn't care less.

They also advertise that they will repair any one fault, no matter how big or small the job, for a fixed upfront fee inc. labour & parts. However, when I booked a call recently and had £l68 debited to my a/c in advance, after waiting several days for the engineer to turn up he told me the problem was a faulty motorised valve which wd have to be replaced which wd entail draining down and as that wd take more than an hr he couldn't do it. No apologies, no offer to quote for an extra charge and/or come back another day to do it. Just bye-bye and he wd arrange a refund. In my book, that's sharp practice, breach of contract and misleading advertising. I complained and the person who phoned me back said she wd draw the ad. to the attention of her manager. Again, no sympathy or help. Couldn't care less.

yes clearly a breach of a contract you clearly have not read yet :rolleyes:

Nothin in terms and conditions that says must be under an hour you have been unlucky and got a lazy git who could not be bothered. I would get them back

It sounds like the information you should of had would have been that the job would have had to be rebooked in for a date in the new year as there was no chance to extend the job time with the reduced labour and huge number of jobs booked in over xmas hols.

Nothin in terms and conditions that says must be under an hour you have been unlucky and got a lazy git who could not be bothered. I would get them back

theres no doubt he couldnt be bothered, as long as its not an awkward one, but its no fix no fee and the time limit is 2 hrs.

Nickso - you say time limit is 2 hrs; the engineer said time limit was l hr. Clearly draining down a large house wd take more than 2 hrs but the point is that the advert on the BG website says the upfront fee will pay for repairing one fault, no matter how big or small the job. I don't think that categoric statement allows them to pick and choose the jobs they are prepared to do. In other words, they only do the ones which take a few minutes. It's a con. Getting one's money back is no consolation when one has waited a week for the call and there's no chance of getting anybody else out before Christmas. I haven't been able to check with my bank whether the £l68 has been returned yet but it must help BG's cash flow enormously if they can get the free use of a lot of people's money for a few weeks.

I had, by the way, read all the terms & conditions and could see no qualification as to any time limit for the job.

As always with BG you aare totally reliant on the ability and honesty of the engineer that gets allocated to your job.

As BG is so large there are going to be bad and good ones. You have been unlucky, but also you don't know the pressures he may have been under from his manager that day to complete x amount of jobs.

Not all are as good and thick skinned towards their management as nickso and others who post on here.

I would have thought he could have bunged the system and done it in an hour anyway.

Nickso Where does it say 2 hours it is not in the terms and conditions which are on the web site ,is this something your field manager has told you,,,
Also in terms and conditions it talks about changing cylinders , tell me how these would be done in 2 hours

Nickso - you say time limit is 2 hrs; the engineer said time limit was l hr. Clearly draining down a large house wd take more than 2 hrs but the point is that the advert on the BG website says the upfront fee will pay for repairing one fault, no matter how big or small the job. I don't think that categoric statement allows them to pick and choose the jobs they are prepared to do. In other words, they only do the ones which take a few minutes. It's a con. Getting one's money back is no consolation when one has waited a week for the call and there's no chance of getting anybody else out before Christmas. I haven't been able to check with my bank whether the £l68 has been returned yet but it must help BG's cash flow enormously if they can get the free use of a lot of people's money for a few weeks.

I had, by the way, read all the terms & conditions and could see no qualification as to any time limit for the job.

I don't doubt for a minute that there is a a time limit but I have never ever heard of one enforced and have seen many, many jobs taking a whole day on a fixed price. You need to call back and rebook explaining the situation....the most likely reason is that it was the day before your guy started him xmas hols. It's not a con it's the fact that the engineer spun you a line hoping you would complain as soon as he left and that one of his colleagues would cop for the job the next day when he was on hols.

ill try and find the t+c's to check on the time limit. either way you have been hard done by unless there are complications we dont know about.

to say they only do the easy ones is incorrect but they are perfectly entitled to not fix a certain fault if it is outside the t+c's, hence the no fix no fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back