Any boiler experts out there?....Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right here is problem!

I have an old Worcester Highflow 4.5 which I know I should replace but as I intend on moving house within 12 months then I would rather avoid the cost of replacement if I can.

I have a British Gas contract and recently the pilot light kept going out so eventually after a few visits BG said that the heat exchangers need replacing but they wouldn't do the work until I had a bypass value and magnaclean filter added to the system. So, I had a plumber fit both parts within a foot or two of the boiler that's in the garage.

BG then came back and replaced the heat exchanger on thursday. However, the pilot has kept going out and yesterday we had the smell of exhaust fumes in our kitchen which is next to the garage. Also the walls in the vicinity of the boiler began to soot up a few months ago and seem to be getting worse.

Transco came out yesterday and closed down the boiler saying it is not working correctly.

BG said when they replaced the heat exchanger that the bypass valve was fitted too close to the boiler as it needs to be at least 2 metres away.

Can anyone advise me on what I should do? Is the boiler on its last legs and I should just bite the bullet or do I try to get it repaired?

If I get the bypass valve fitted further away do you think this will resolve the situation or are BG just bull-sh1tting?

By the way the vertical flue to the boiler does not meet BG standards and is something like 600mm short. They have known this for years but are kind of ok with it.

Many thanks in advance.

Hoofer

Sponsored Links
BG are just wriggling out of the job! They should've reported any installation faults at the time of 1st visit when the contract was taken out. Call them back and state that if not resolved in 7 days you will take legal action.

They will no doubt try and sell you a powerflush and a new boiler too! Do not buy anything off them as they are conmen. Insist they send out a WB engineer at their expense.

Thanks dangermouse!

What's a WB Engineer?

Also, on what grounds would I take legal action and do you know how I would go about that?

If anyone else has any advice then please do let me know.

Hoofer

Thanks dangermouse!

What's a WB Engineer?

Also, on what grounds would I take legal action and do you know how I would go about that?

If anyone else has any advice then please do let me know.

Hoofer

WB=Worcester Bosch; the boiler manufacturer has its own engineers which are experts and carry most spare parts on the van. (Unlike BG who are jack of all, master of none and also responsible for several deaths due to their incompetence/negligence)

You could take legal action as you have paid BG for an insurance policy to repair your boiler which they have not fulfilled. The threat of legal action will normally be enough.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Dangermouse, much appreciated!

I have a BG engineer coming out tomorrow afternoon...if I get nowhere then I'll follow your advice.

Hoofer.

Thanks again Dangermouse, much appreciated!

I have a BG engineer coming out tomorrow afternoon...if I get nowhere then I'll follow your advice.

Hoofer.

Ask for the senior engineer/ TSM. Most of the younger engineers they have are clueless idiots.

(Unlike BG who are jack of all, master of none and also responsible for several deaths due to their incompetence/negligence)

And no other RGIs ever have :rolleyes: Bit of a sweeping statement.

The bypass etc does sound like BG trying to get out of the job.

Thanks petit_pablo....what is an RGI and what statement is sweeping?

Also, can I assume by what you have said that the bypass valve can be fitted within a foot or two of the boiler?

Hoofer

can't see what the heat exchanger problem has to do with a pilot flame out.
unless you have an overheating problem.

the highflow has a stat Can't remember what it is actually called,
but it is black and has 2 leads (white) AFAICR which interact with the thermocouple these are often tempramental.

Its very unlikely that the HE is anything to do with the pilot light cutting out!

However, the boiler sooting up is a very bad problem and indicates a serious fault which can have dangerous consequences and can kill people as carbon monoxide is being produced!

Tony

The pilot light going out is inconvenient, but the boiler sooting up could be deadly!!! You might want to invest in a carbon monoxide alarm - they're pretty cheap these days and you can get them in supermarkets, B&Q etc

Sounds as though British Gas are giving you the run around. If the boiler was working ok for years without a bypass then that wont be causing your current problem. Its good practise to have a bypass and the magnaclean will prolong the system life, but its no good if the pilot light won't stay lit!

Have you thought about getting a second opinion?

Hi...BG have visited earlier today and said they could not fix the boiler and have consequently shut it down....so we continue to have no hot water or heating!

They said that it is dangerous because of the flue which is causing the sooting and exhaust fumes.

BG have also sent me a letter today saying that they will not renew my contract in April whilst the system does not meet their requirements (i.e a flue extension needs to be fitted and also the bypass valve needs to be fitted at least two metres from the boiler).

The worcester installation instructions does actually show that the bypass valve needs to be 2 metres away from the boiler.

I don't know whether if I get the flue extended and also the bypass valve refitted that BG can fix the problem! The BG engineer today advised that I should upgrade the boiler and that a WB engineer would not visit as the boiler is now obselete and that the installation is not to their specifications. I don't know if he is telling the truth.

I don't know what to do! I am only living here for another 12 months max and so would rather not have to shell out on a new boiler.

If I buy a new boiler then what would be a good cost effective replacement for the worcester highflow 4.5 and what should I pay to have it fitted by a corgi engineer?

If anyone has any advice then it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Hoofer

This will not be what you want to hear, but your prospective buyer may find out about your boiler when they are about to exchange contracts, then asking you for a substantial price reduction holding you to ransom. Get a new one, twelve months is a long time, you can then promote your shinny new boiler as a feature on your sale details. :!:

The WB direct replacement is the Greenstar 550 CDi or the 440 CDi at approx £1850 (inc vat) and £1650 (inc vat) respectively.

Same again for labour,magnaclean PF and flue etc.

Best of luck.

with the help of a good rgi and and a bit of tlc all these defects can be sorted and at a low cost.
ditch bg there a load of incompetent monkey's :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back