Glow worm heat exchanger problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to unscrew my heat exchanger plate on my gloworm boiler, but the previous engineer has totally worn the screw away and I cannot budge it! Any ideas? :evil:

Sponsored Links
Did he do that on purpose?

Cross heads do get chewed if they are left undisturbed for long periods of time. It is also important to maintain driver tip in good condition as worn tip will not grip and reluctant screw ends up chewed.

Some people (both householders and engineers) maintain it is better left alone if it aint broke. Others believe carrying out a service as detailed in MIs is likely to cause problems during the act of dismantling.

My experince is that regular (proper) service leads to easier dismantling as screws do not get a chance to seize up.

Use a chisel and hammer. Apply chisel to screw head and tap gently. It will turn.

Only do this though if you believe the HSE would consider you a competent person - if not what you will be doing is illegal!

Sponsored Links
I still have not worked out exactly what the "heat exchanger plate" is !

i am guessing you mean d.h.w plate to plate h/exch. they are normally torx screws on glow-worms and easy to chew up as i said before drilling is the only way depending on the boiler you may not have enough room at the back and may need to pull the boiler forwards model would be a help

I dont remember Torx ( TM ) screws on Ideals?

The Sonya Duval boilers ( dreadful ) have quite nice Torx (TM) screws with a flat blade combination as well.

Surely ALL true boiler engineers have a set of Torx (TM ) drivers as part of their kit?

Tony Glazier

Yes, there are Torx screws on the plastic hydraulic block on the LH side of some newer Ideal combi's, they hold the plate heat exchanger on.

I DO have a decent set of Torx screwdrivers, however the problem arises when you work for a company with around 30 heating engineers, where someone goes to diagnose a problem, another goes to fit parts and fails and then they send me. When one of the other guys tries to use a philips screwdriver on a Torx screw, he slightly knackers it. Then I come along with my Torx screwdriver and succeed in doing nothing more to the already half ruined screw than ruining it further...

:rolleyes: :evil: :evil: AAAAAAAAAahhhh!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back