Glow worm hideaway 80BF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hideaway 80BF boiler, Last winter I noticed the water temperature was high even on minimum. I changed the boiler thermostat for one I purchased on line but the problem remains. I have today again changed the thermostat for one I purchased from a glow worm spares stockist so it is a genuine spare and the problem still persists. IE high boiler temperature even at minimum setting. Has anyone any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Its fully pumped central heating and hotwater. S plan if i remember correctly.
All the valves open when switched but the radiators or the feed to the cylinder get very hot - even when on minimum on boiler thermostat.
Cheers

Your hot water temp is controlled by a cylinder stat strapped to the side of the cylinder, which when satisfied should prevent the cylinder getting hotter than approx 60*c irrespective of the boilers flow temp. Check the setting of this stat. If this part of the system is faulty then replacing boiler stats is fruitless. If you are not familiar with how your system works then call a heating engineer and it should be a fairly simple fix.
A remote possibility is that system crud has affected the heat transfer from the dry pocket to the thermostat sensing phial.
Have you measured the temps with a thermometer. Its no good just by touch.

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you have an unusual and possibly dangerous fault on your boiler.

I suggest a competent boiler engineer to diagnose the problem.

Tony

Thanks to 45 years a gas man. I will check the cylinder stat out first.
I think your second idea may be the answer (crud round the phile)
I am going to get the thermostat I last removed checked in work to see what temp it starts switching at. If this is in a reasonable range lower than what the boiler runs at it looks like there is a problem with heat transfer to the thermostat.
Unfortunatley I am working away this week so cant post a response immediatley, but will keep you posted.
Just checked the boiler and there is a 1" plug near to the phile pocket, may be worth removing this to check the area for scale etc.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back