Glow Worm Hideaway problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a Glow Worm Hideaway 50 BF permanent pilot fitted in a circuit which is open to atmosphere (header tank in cupboard).
The issue is that it fires up for only about 2 to 3 mins and then the burner turns off but the pilot remains alight. It will then sit dorment for about half an hour and then relight for another 2 mins and then burner goes out. The pilot always remains alight. There is water in the header tank and this issue happens whether I switch on the room stat on or the hot water stat on the cylinder ; makes no odds which.
Tonight I changed the thermostat for a new one and the issue remains ??

Any help very well received. Kind regards.......

Sponsored Links
need more information on system. Sounds like heat is not getting away from the boiler, so first thought is pump. But details on what components you have ie motorised valves, controls etc would help to diagonse the problem.

Thanks MickyG.
I have a Honeywell motorised valve which I can hear work when I switch on the Honeywell water cylinder stat clamped to the cylinder. The room stat is a Honeywell one with older linear temp gauge and I can hear this click as the lever is moved. The pump is a Comet 2-130. Whole system is in a 2 bed flat (mid 70's) so cylinder , motorised valve and pump in airing cupboard. Boiler in Kitchin and 2 header tanks above airing cupboad....hope this helps ?...Aston.

Sponsored Links
as kev says it sounds like the pump must be the problem as I first thought.

Think you guys may have hit the nail on the head. Boiler just refired so I went to the pump. Pipes above pump are hot but pipes below are cold ! If you put your hand on the pump there is a very faint vibration there even when the boiler is off but pipes below remain cold. Switch on side of pump is at no.2 position of 3.
Are there any easy actions I can take to try and free it or is it now down to an expert ?
Can't thank you enough for your excellent prompt help. Cheers.

Well...."persuasive percussion" appears to have done the job......THANKS VERY MUCH TO YOU BOTH FOR YOUR HELP !!!

Really pleased you took the time to reply....have a very good evening !

Mark Aston.

Helped put a few of those Hideaways in as an apprentice. Good solid boiler I thought. That pump sounds ancient to me though!

Kevplumb's words of wisdom were effective then! Important law of Physics that is.... Never force it. Get a bigger hammer.

I dont think Brickie's ever understood the finer points of plumbing.... We got called out to look at a boiler by a builder friend of my gaffer, he was renovating the property at the time if memory serves me correctly. On arrival we were greeted by a loud metallic clanging, went in to discover him hitting seven bells out the boiler... He said he was 'trying a little persuasion' in attempting to get it to work.....

Turned out it was a faulty thermocouple.....

You did turn the roomstat back down again????? Sounds like my former in laws... No room stat so when it gets too hot they open the door..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back