Glow Worm Hideaway B

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have a Glow Worm Hideaway B and the pilot light keeps blowing out. Now this happens not on a consistant basis but at any time. I could have the boiler on for an entire day without this happening and then the next morning it has blown out. So I relight it. Now the heating engineer has said that I need a new gas valve but other heating engineers have told me that it is probably the pilot light has gone small or the thermocouple because if it was the gas valve the boiler wouldnt fire which it does!

Can anyone shed some light on this..exasperated in London:]

Derek100

Sponsored Links
low level inlet increases the chance of flora and fauna getting in.
if it has not had anual service, start there

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys

Thank you for your kind help. I am claiming off my home emergency cover and they will only pay up to £300 per problem and because I had one call out @ £86 and the engineer said it is the gas valve @ £239 plus £77 per hour to fit. So I am over my £300 claim limit but my concern was why did he go straight for the gas valve when other gas installers had told me it could be the pilot light with a blockage or thermocouple?

Also I think that if he fitted a new gas valve the problem would still exist..yes or no?

Thanks for all your kind help I appreciate you not making me a victim of Rogue Traders

Hi Guys

I had one call out @ £86 and the engineer said it is the gas valve @ £239 plus £77 per hour to fit. So I am over my £300 claim limit but my concern was why did he go straight for the gas valve when other gas installers had told me it could be the pilot light with a blockage or thermocouple?

Ciould it be because its a more expensive job than just cleaning the injector for £77 ???

I would not expect it to be the gas valve!

Tony

That is my worry..and that is how I read the situation. We all see the programmes on TV about rogue tradesmen and that colours our views on tradesmen in general. That is my experience of all tradesmen and it is frustrating and is it the kind of world we want to live in?
If we robbed in the street everyone would be appalled but being robbed in our own home..it is another thing isn't it?

Thanks Tony for replying.

Derek

I would suggest changing your insurance company. £300 is not very high fro boiler repairs these days unless it is something basic, like we think it is here.

Thanks Dave for taking time to reply to my posting. I think you are right and I am in the process of changing my insurance.

Thanks once again.

Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back