glow worm swift flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these decrepid boilers and was wondering why i can only get a trickle of hot water only when the heating is on.
Is this easy to fix to give me a year of extra life?

Sponsored Links
They are quite solid boilers but getting a little long in the tooth now.

If I remember them properly they have a DHW flow switch towards the left and this seems to have packed up.

Not the easiest of boilers to work on for a DIyer.

I dont know why fixing your boiler might give YOU an extra year of life. Electrocuting yourself trying to fix it would certainly not though.

Why not get it done professionally and save yourself the hassle and risk?

Tony

Thanks for the advice.

I will seek a professional.. too many children to leave fatherless. :)

gas4you who posts here at more normal hours operates in your area and you can probably track him down from his profile if not his 0870 number on his on line shop which is regularly linked to.

At least he will be bound to do a good job for you at a reeasonable charge otherwise you would be telling us all about it.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, but don't think I'd have a clue on one of these ancient boilers :oops: Another unhelpful fact for the op is that I couldn't look at anything for about 4 weeks at present! Never know it so busy for this time of year ;)

Not mentioning anyone but I would suggest to the op not to employ firms from adverts in local evening press :eek:

The heating being on will have no effect on hot water flow.The flow rate depends whether you have a 75/80 version or the 100.

The 75/80 only had low flow rate( about 9 litres/min approx. if memory serves me right) which is a bit pi$$poor these days.

You need an engineer with a weir gauge to measure flow rate which can be adjusted on the boiler ( The plasic screw does tend to shear though).

Only other reason could be low cold water pressure or blockage in filter going into boiler.
Never had one get scaled up to such an extent that waterways blocked but then i don`t live in hard water area.

Hope that helps

Paul

Thanks.. yes i do live in an especially hard water area. I have tried to adjust the throttle which i turned to full, and i have cleaned the little metal filter i think you mention.
Our water pressure is pretty high, so from what i am hearing there could be a scaling blockage, in conjunction with the flow switch which is susseptable to scaling issues .. i think it's time has come.
Thanks again.

The flow rate on this boiler is fully adjustable and easily done with manual in hand.

if im thinking of the right boiler, they don't have a diverter as such they have a series of thermistas and switches. Could possibly have a build up crap round one of the sensors or possibly filter blocked..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back