Glow Worm Ultracom 18sxi Frost control query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 18sxi fitted 3 weeks ago. I know it has a frost control and I have a 3 port valve fitted with a room stat.
Should the boiler fire up when the timer is off and the room stat is off but the temperature outside is below 3 Degrees C as the boiler fires up and all the rads in the house get hot as the temp set on the boiler is 62 Degrees C.
If i dont want the boiler frost stat to fire up , should i set the timer on 24 hours and leave the room stat at 15 Degrees C therefore the rads will only heat up if the temp in the house falls below 15 Degrees ?
Need some silly advise as it gets too hot when the boiler fires up by itself ?

Sponsored Links
Are you taking about the integral frost protection that the boiler has built in? Or do you have a seperate frost stat somewhere near the boiler?

If you have a seperate one it should be fitted in conjunction with a pipe stat on the boiler return pipe to shut it off when it gets to about 20C

Are you taking about the integral frost protection that the boiler has built in? Or do you have a seperate frost stat somewhere near the boiler?

If you have a seperate one it should be fitted in conjunction with a pipe stat on the boiler return pipe to shut it off when it gets to about 20C

Hi Andy I am talking about the integral one, but I also have a room stat in the lounge and all the rads have thermostatic valves, but when the boiler comes on by itself the room stat is inactive as the timer is off and all the rads get piping hot to the temperature set by the thermoststic valves on the rads. Am I better off by leaving the CH on 24 hours and let it be controlled by the roomstat rather than the frost control integral as this causes the house to overheat ?

It's not the integral frost stat firing the boiler.

The frost protection on that boiler runs the pump first if the water in the boiler is below 8 degrees.

If the water temp drops to 5 degrees the boiler fired but only up to 30 degrees.

I'd say you have a problem elsewhere.

Ted

Sponsored Links
It's not the integral frost stat firing the boiler.

The frost protection on that boiler runs the pump first if the water in the boiler is below 8 degrees.

If the water temp drops to 5 degrees the boiler fired but only up to 30 degrees.

I'd say you have a problem elsewhere.

Ted

Hi Ted
Thanks for the advise any Ideas ? could it be the 3-port valve staying open on the CH circuit ?
The boiler also feeds a copper hot water tank perhaps it firing up to heat the water and sending it thru to the CH Circuit ?

If the system is hot and there is no call from the timer then you have a fault somewhere, forget about the frost protection. It probably lies with the mid-pos valve.

These boilers have two seperate control inputs - one for 240v and one for low voltage controls. Remove the cover from the low voltage control centre and you will probably find a 'loop' fitted on the room stat connection. Remove this and your boiler will switch off. Glow worm dont mention this in the Manufacturers Instructions.

These boilers have two seperate control inputs - one for 240v and one for low voltage controls. Remove the cover from the low voltage control centre and you will probably find a 'loop' fitted on the room stat connection. Remove this and your boiler will switch off. Glow worm dont mention this in the Manufacturers Instructions.
I would just like to make it known that I got this information from PRS1 from another forum. The problem had me tearing my hair out for hours and i was convinced it was a faulty boiler. I actually went back to my customers house as soon as PRS1 had posted on the other forum and his diagnosis was spot on. I had come across this thread whilst originaly trying to find an answer and it looked like a similar problem so I posted what I had learnt. Re- reading the post It does look like I am trying to come across as a smart arse for which I apologise. I hope the op gets his problem sorted and I apologise to PRS1 for any offence caused and really appreciate his diagnosis which enabled me to sort out my customer.

Thank you PRS1 for initially posting the fix and a thank you to Quattro64 to posting a copy to me

Good Job Pitty Glow Worm dont put it in the manual

Cheers

:D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back