Glow worm ultracom 24hxi water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We complete the purchase of a new house on friday this week.

We had the cleaners in the new house on Tuesday in preparation for this friday's move and at this point noticed that the boiler had or has had a slight leak that's left a rusty mark on the carpet below the boiler. The house has been empty for the last 6 months so the boiler has not run in this period. The gauge on the pressure accumulator in the airing cupboard showed that the system was still pressurised but that's as far as i was able to get my father in law to look at via the phone as i'm working away.

Is this boiler prone to any specific faults that might have caused this like a cracked condensate trap etc? I'm going to try and get a plumber in this afternoon or tomorrow morning to look at the boiler but i'd be very interested to know if there are any known faults with this make and model of boiler.

Sponsored Links
I had fitted loads of this model never had any issues, check compression fittings above boiler is not leaking.

We now have possession of the new house and i've had a chance to have a decent look at the boiler.

The previous owners said that they did have an issue with a leak from the boiler, but they had a plumber in who resolved it.

The leak appears to be coming from the the flue coming of the top of the boiler. It looks like condensate has been leaking out of the the joints in the flue and dripping onto the top casing of the boiler which has now has some surface rust. Rusty water was then running down the boiler.

There is now no sign of any further leakage, and i've put a carbon monoxide meter on the top of the boiler next to the flue which is reading a constant 0ppm.

However, the flue appears to run slightly uphill which to my mind means its always going to be prone to condensate running back down into the boiler.

What is the likely cause of the condensate leakage and should i be calling a RGI in to replace the 'very' slightly rusted flue sections. The rust is limited to 2-3mm around each joint where the condensate has leaked.

Get a RGI with a flue analyser to check the boiler out. One of the inner flue seals may be compromised and the boiler could potentially be dangerous. Don't panic though, but do get it checked soon. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply Beer Lover.

Is the flue a multi section flue then and not just a pipe?

Yes Lower, it is a concentric two part flue - inner plastic, outer metal.

if they already knew about it, sounds like its been like it from day one, so as BL has said inner flue issue. Probably the installer didn't debur or grease the flue before sliding it into the elbow. All it needs is an RGI to check and remake the seal. Boilers are solid, I've fitted loads, and had 0% failure rate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back