Glow Worm Ultracom2 30cxi with Hive Active Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondering if someone could help me. I'm wanting to install the hive receiver on to my boiler, I currently have the glow worm wireless handset which I want to obviously replace. I know where to get the mains feed from the boiler for the receiver but my question is as follows:

Currently the wireless receiver for glow worm plugs into the bus terminal as shown, do those two wires stay there and go to the hive receiver or do i move them over to the 24v terminals to the left?

Thank you
20180307_164044.jpg
Screenshot_20180307-233536.png

Sponsored Links
Hive doesn't have 'BUS' capabilities. But you can use the 24v RT terminals.

Remove the red link from the 24v RT (Remote Thermostat) terminals and them connect them to a Single Channel Hive Receiver terminals 1 (common) & 3 (heating on). It doesn't matter which way around they go.

The Hive will also need a 230V mains supply to power it. This should come from the same 3A supply to the boiler, so that the same fused connection unit will isolate the boiler and the Hive.

If you use the 24v RT terminals do not add any additional links. The 24v wires need to be kept isolated from the mains.

Thank you for your reply. So im ok to get the power from the green terminal on the image and connect the other two wires to 24v? Additional links?

That's fine, the boiler 230V supply terminals E,N, & L can supply the Hive, and Hive terminals 1 & 3 go to the 24v RT

Regarding the link, I was just making you aware that you may come across some diagrams for installing the Hive that will show a link added between the (L) and (1) terminals. This is for an alternative method of installation using 230V. This link should not be made if you are connecting the Hive to 24v RT terminals.

Sponsored Links
They have sent the dual one instead of just the heating one. Can I still wire it up?

Thanks
Allen

Yes you can, but it's a bit of a 'fudge'. The Hive app will have functions for hot water that won't do anything, and you won't be able to use the 24v terminals to connect it as I described above. This is because the dual channel Hive is permanently wired to 230V internally, being designed to control motorised valves associated with heat only boilers and not combi's. So it would mean that you would have to wire it for 230V control instead. But it can be done.

Personally, I would want to do it properly and exchange it for the correct version, but if you still want to proceed with the dual channel, post back and I will tell you how.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back