Glow Worm Xtrafast 120, 05 FF error and some questions!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I was getting my system ready for winter but now I keep getting this error code? It began when I drained the system and filled with a de-sludge solution? When the system was filled everything worked exactly as it should do but if you filled a bath of hot water I got the 05 error. I assumed the DHW plate exchanger was clogged so I removed it, there was quite a bit of scale that came out so I replaced it with new thinking this would cure the problem, it didn't. further investigation found you could run a full bath of water no problems, then after 15-20 mins if you ran the hot water again the overheat stat tripped out causing the 05 error. Any ideas on what would cause this? I never had any problems before.

On the boiler there is a built in bypass, in the manual it says the boiler is supplied with it set a half turn open and it should be set to suit flow rate, is setting this any different going to change anything?

On another note I did notice when running the hot water the flow pipe got ever so slightly warm when it should be cold, it was only about the first 18" of the pipe, do you think this is just heat transfered or a valve not closing fully?

My final question! On the circulation pump there is a black cover, when it is removed you can see a screw inside, any idea what this is for? there is no mention in the manual?

[/code][/b]

Sponsored Links
I forgot to mention, the CH side works fine, when water temp reaches it's set point the boiler cuts in and out fine to modulate the heat. The 05FF error only appears when a large amount of hot water is supplied through the boiler?

I think it could be a faulty dhw or hot water thermostat which is your problem.
they are cheap and easy to replace.

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I am 99.9% sure the tripping problem was air in the system that I could not budge! The kids have just had a bath and all is working well. Fortunately I fitted a magnetic filter when I did my winter mods to the system, to budge the air lock I pressurized to 2bar closed both valves on the filter and removed the filter, then I opened the valve nearest to the boiler and blew a bucket full of water out and through the boiler backwards, When I put the filter back the pressure was a nice 1.2bar and all is well once again!

I would still appreciate any answers on the other questions just so I know for future use.

Sponsored Links
An engineer showed me how to reset the boiler switch which stopped me getting this message - really simple.

Remove white outer panel
Remove grey secondary panel
On the left hand side, towards the top, look for the sensor (mine has two white connectors)
In between these 2 connectors there's a very small reset switch. Using the tip of a ball point pen just press this in.

Worked for me!

That is a manually reset overheat sensor.

But it would not be the cause for the OP otherwise it would never have worked until reset.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back