Gloworm compact 80e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Could do with some input/suggestions which would be appreciated.
Compact 80e is getting flame lockout intermittently, often now needs about 3 resets for either C/h or Dhw irrespective. I know pressure differential switch plunger is not pushing out to make microswitch.

P/d/switch can be overidden via a cocktail stick making switch and everything operates tickety boo!

P/D/Switch housing and membrane have been replaced with new ( also Dhw housing/ membrane whilst drained down) for convenience. Bit of dirt cleaned out with operating holes cleared and water sent through channels giving a flow through ports. System flushed through pretty good as well. Done this twice to double check there is no further accumulating muck rejamming p/d/sw housing or pin/plunger. Clear water present.

question? Is the P/d/switch entirely just to indicate that there is a flow through the C/H pump only? If there was a pump failure at any time anyway wouldn`t the overheat sensors protect the boiler anyway?

Although the pump is operating o.k with Heating and Dhw all fine when switch overidden, I have noticed in the Technical sheets that the pump has a small filter. I am going to drain the boiler down again and check this filter as it also may be clogged as the original housing was causing the pump acting fine for the C/H but failing to give adequate pressure to operate the Plunger for switch.

Anyone come across this before? Is the pipe/filter into the pump easily disconnected as shown via diagram.
Thanks all/ give us your thoughts
Regards

Sponsored Links
Does the auto air vent work properly?

Is the pump on maximum speed? Perhaps it's sticking occasionally.

Do the radiators get hot in a reasonable time? If so I wouldn't bother removing the filter. Even if the filter is completely blocked water will flow through around the bypass so the differential switch will still operate.

Otherwise remove the heating return elbow..the filter is stuck up inside the lower pump connection. May have to use a small screw to pull it out. The filter however is only in the circuit in heating mode (AFIAR) so would have no bearing in DHW mode.

You could remove the pump head and check the impeller and the torque of the motor...run it briefly and feel the impeller force.

Cheers gas, Auto air vent works fine ...Pump works fine for normal usage. Heating dwh fine .As said prev..if overide switch pdv switch everyting is tickety boo. It is the pdvalve spindle that is not operating due to no pressure to the housing ( I guess)

Sponsored Links
Gas.correct about the filter only in c/h and have no bearing on Dhw except that without the pressure dif switch kicking in then it cuts out the dhw as well. So indirectly does have a bearing on dhw as it wobt operate without pdv passing test first on all Gloworm compact 75/80/100`s

Maybe you need someone out to look at the thing.

have you checked the filter? didn't bother posting before as you've already been given helpful advice in how to check it :rolleyes:

Hi micky,
I am going to check the filter. Just thought someone may have some other thoughts while boiler drained down. Any probs encountered with boiler shut off valves or pump pipes etc in anyones experience or all generally not a problem?
Regards :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back