Gloworm cxi30 boiler losing pressure (v slowly)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Gloworm 30cxi boiler which was fitted 2 years ago with a brand new central heating system. It is located downstairs.

I noticed that it was losing pressure (Sept 2009) and found a leak under the boiler. The central heat pipe returning to the boiler was leaking and has been tightened and fixed. Then a downstairs towel rail started leaking; that was tightened and fixed. And finally the other central heating pipe leaving the boiler started to leak - that has now been fixed too.

BUT, it is still losing approx 0.1 bar/week. I've looked everyone for signs of a leak but can't find any at all. I'd rather not pull up all the new flooring (over existing floorboards) as it is tongue and grooved, glued/nailed.

The boiler got topped up to 1.5 bar on 11/11/09 (cold) and at 10/12/09 it is at 1.2 bar (cold).

Any suggestions what could be causing the leak, how to locate it and what I should do.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would take all the plastic caps off the rad valves and dab around the glands with a tissue, check the iso valves under the boiler, tie/tape a plastic bag over the prv pipe, check all the bleed nipples etc. 0.3 bar a month is quite a small leak.

I would take all the plastic caps off the rad valves and dab around the glands with a tissue, check the iso valves under the boiler, tie/tape a plastic bag over the prv pipe, check all the bleed nipples etc. 0.3 bar a month is quite a small leak.

Ok thanks for this. What are the iso valves and the prv pipe please?

BTW I have plastic flexipiping under the floorboards. I have informed that if these were leaking, then the pressure drop would likely be a lot more.

iso(lating) valves, p(ressure) r(educing)v(alve)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I have checked the radiator valves and it seems dry under the boiler. I'm not sure where the prv pipe is. I have included a picture if that helps.

prv is far right, it should terminate outside, either near the ground, turned back to the wall or it may have a mushroom shaped thingy on the end.

I followed the advice given and detected no leaks.

However, today, 5 mins before the CHS was due to come on I noticed a weeping valve at the top of the towel rail downstairs. It was such a tiny amount of water which 20 mins after the CHS had been on, it has evaporated.

I guess it is only leaking when cold and has gone undetected because any trace of seeping water had vanished.

I will see about getting the nut tightened up. It is 21mm I think.

Again, thanks for advice and hopefully this is the cause of the pressure drop (which has been occupying my mind and time).

Fingers crossed. I'll tighten when cold and when I can get a suitably sized spanner. Or I could use my contract with Homeserve.

Go the contract route, if you try it yourself and something goes wrong you could have an unforeseen cost, if the insurer's engineer cocks up it's down to him/her/them.

Thanks for the excellent advice twgas and for cocurring spikebmth ;)

The advice re contractual route clearly comes from a very wise head!

Cheers again.

Well, 2+ years on and I still have a very minor leak which has still not been detected despite other more noticeable boiler leaks and replacement parts to the boiler.

Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back