Gloworm Ultimate 80 banging and rattling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been hearing noises all day, wife tells me it's next door doing DIY. Eventually I'm in the kitchen when the boiler fires and I find that's where the banging has been coming from all day, anyway the thing is banging and rattling and the cover in the area of the pilot hole is visibly moving in and out! Then the wife mentions it's been like that for a week, never told me! I switched it off and back on, now it seems to be dead!

Any pointers on what's up with it so I know what anyone who I get out should say?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well it seems to have settled now but I assume it will happen again?

Thanks, I have found that one of the bathroom rads has a stuck valve.its a fancy thing designed to look like a tap head, presumably there is a duff washer in it that may have broken up and found its way to the boiler? The stuck side won't budge much, the other side turns quite a few full rotations, rad is cold. Is it likely to have now left the boiler and wedged somewhere less of an issue?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have found that one of the bathroom rads has a stuck valve.its a fancy thing designed to look like a tap head, presumably there is a duff washer in it that may have broken up and found its way to the boiler? The stuck side won't budge much, the other side turns quite a few full rotations, rad is cold. Is it likely to have now left the boiler and wedged somewhere less of an issue?

Or possibly you have thermostatic valves on all radiators and they have all shut down. Doesn't necessary have to be in the boiler just a blockage that is stopping circulation. At the joint of the feed, expansion flow is a favourite.

Most unlikely anything from a valve has caused a blockage.

Usually a weak or faulty pump!

Or a sludge blockage!

Tony

Never got round to doing anything about this, it seemed to settle for a while but has now started up again, maybe once or twice a week. I managed to video it in action along with the noise, any pointers as to what it may be please? I have boiler cover but want to make sure I don't get fobbed off and encouraged to replace if not necessary! The movement seems focused around the middle of the front cover but that could just be because that's the area with move give.

Thanks

BG happen to be coming to service on fri now, hopefully they won't give me the hard sell

Well 2 visits later from BG and hopefully it's sorted.

The first guy (was doing a service anyway) thought it was the fan so "adjusted" (lubricated) the fan bearings, cost £50 excess.

problem remained

2nd guy said it was probably not caused by the fan and he couldn't get a new one anyway. he fitted a grundfloss alpha2 pump and changed a "valve" so fingers crossed it was kettling due to the faulty pump, new one is much quieter too! :) shouldn't cost anything for 2nd visit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back