Gloworm ultracom 30cxi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had this boiler about 2.5 years and had no problems. Over the last 2 weeks I have been having to top it up as it is tripping out on low pressure. I have been doing some alterations to my bathroom recently which entailed extending central heating pipes (10mm plastic), these are all under floor upstairs but I can see no sign of leakage ( I have not gone back under the floor at this stage).
Yesterday I put a container under the outside overflow pipe and have collected 1 pint of water in about 22 hours and the boiler had tripped again overnight. I think this is significant but I don't know what to look for to remedy the problem. If anyone can give me any guidance I would be most grateful.

John.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
I have had a look at the faq's. I don't think the PRV has opened because it has reached 3 bar. Is it saying that the PV pressure is low? Is it possible that the PRV becomes faulty and just starts to leak? Is it looking like the problem is definitely boiler side because water is getting through the PRV or could a leak on the radiator side cause the PRV to allow water through?

John

If the PRV has opened at all, there could be a small amount of debris trapped in the PRV , causing it to leak constantly. As water doesn't compress, a small amount of water only has to be lost for the system pressure to drop.
Having said that, are you sure the water you have collected, isn't from the condensate pipe?? If it is, this would be quite normal. If you've collected it from the PRV run off then it's the PRV that's letting water through.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.
The water I have collected is difinitley from the PRV run off. I'm sorry to be a pain but does this mean that my problem is definitley in the boiler? Is there anything I can do to close the PRV? Is there a check list I should use to determine the seat of the problem?

John

Pressure relief valve needs cleaning/replacing and Expansion vessel needs checking/recharging. Its 30mins work for a competent person.

Best thing to do , is buy a new PRV and replace the old one. Only ever had the PRV go once on an old Potterton Puma, which was easy enough to replace. Drain off water using the PRV then undo, replace and top up and bleed boiler. Don't know whats involved with your boiler though. Might be a case of getting a heating engineer in.

Thanks MickyG and everyone else who has helped. Sorry I've not replied earlier, my ISP has been down.
I will get someone in to change the PRV and check the EV and I will let you know how I get on.

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back