GlowWorm 30cxi dropping pressure - where's the water going?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Recently had a new PCB and filler loop fitted to my 30cxi. The filler loop was steadily leaking prior to this, which seemed to be the reason for the system constantly losing pressure and needing to be topped up.

Now that the filler loop isn't leaking, the system is still losing pressure (not consistently, it seems to vary but based on what I cannot determine.) So, I need to call my engineer out but could do with some suggestions for obvious stuff I can check with my own eyes first.

I'm aware that a dodgy pressure sensor, or failing/un-pressurised pressure/expansion vessel could cause the dodgy pressure readings but what I don't get, is where is all the water going. I'm having to top it up from about 0.7/0.8bar to 1.2bar more or less every other day now. So far, I can't find any signs of leak on the system (I still have two rooms that have laminate floor down so difficult to investigate without destruction!) but I'd have thought the amount of water I'm having to replace would mean a leak would be obvious!

None of the ceilings downstairs show any signs of water from above and I can't see any under the boards so far. There is no condensation or damp anywhere either suggesting pooling of water, or damp/musty smells. There is a little bit of air in the system although I'm putting that down to it containing mostly water with very dilute inhibitor, due to the constant filling. As far as I can tell, the entire system, including boiler, radiators and all pipework was new in 2006.

So my initial thoughts are maybe the PRV or condensate pipe are letting water out of the system, or there is a leak I've not found yet somewhere on the pipework. I cannot see anything from the PRV/overflow pipe however the condensate pipe is constantly dripping. I need to isolate the boiler from the system to see if I can identify which side is losing pressure but its been too cold to turn it off the past day or so!

Just how much water out of the condensate pipe is "normal" if such a thing exists?

Sponsored Links
All boilers vary the amount of condensate they produce depending on operating conditions. All I can say is that there should be no water from the condensate pipe when the boiler is OFF. If that is happening, then the heat exch is leaking.

Thanks - I'd not appreciated it should stop when the boiler is off, that helps a lot with tracing the fault...

Checked with the heating off for a bit, no more water out of the condensate drain.

Guess I need to keep lifting boards and looking for a leak unless anyone has any better ideas!

Sponsored Links
Took a bit of time trying to get to the bottom of this, not helped by the cold and wet weather.

Anyway, today the pressure dropped to 0.8bar when the CH was on, so I topped it up to 1.8 to see if I could finally find any signs of where the water was going. Went outside to see water coming out of the overflow pipe.

Guess this means either the PRV is letting by and needs replacing, or possibly the pressure sensor itself is faulty and giving low readings.

Least I have an idea of what is happening and where the water is going now!

it does sound like the PRV but is possibly the expansion vessel but if everything on the system was off the most likely the PRV try resetting it a few times before replacing it

Common problem with the non-condensing version of this piece of kak. Ours has been fixed twice in the past 6 months. It is 10 years old and fading fast.

Glowworm used to be a respected brand, but since the krauts took over I wouldn't touch GW with a barge pole. Getting a Worcester soon.

Water hot enough to wash pots - 2 litres per minute
For showering less than 4 lpm

Thanks both.

Yeah, a quick google gets loads of hits on leaky PRV's so not too much of a shock. Going to dig out a pressure gauge first and make sure the EV isn't "flat" before doing anything else.

One way or the other, once it's stopped leaking and holding pressure I need to get some inhibitor into it as its probably very dilute now.

Common problem with the non-condensing version of this piece of kak. Ours has been fixed twice in the past 6 months. It is 10 years old and fading fast.

Glowworm used to be a respected brand, but since the krauts took over I wouldn't touch GW with a barge pole. Getting a Worcester soon.

Ha Ha love your post about the Krauts taking over so you are now fitting a Worcester

Ha Ha love your post about the Krauts taking over so you are now fitting a Worcester

thought that as well ian pot kettle black comes to mind, from one kraut to another!

Just had the PRV replaced and the EV re-charged - so far so good with the pressure holding!

Next task is to get the whole system balanced properly, replace some chattering TRV's (on the wrong side of the flow) and get a wireless thermostat fitted...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back