Glowworm BF cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've now run out of ideas to solve my Glowworm 60B Balanced flue from cutting out.
1.pump works ok
2.motorised valve and thermostat on HW ok.
3.motorised valve and Room stat on CH ok.
4.HW works ok
5.CH comes on for 30secs then turns off for 5 mins.
6.Removed supositary shaped boiler thermostat from boiler-makes no difference.
7.turned boiler thermostat to full-no change.
8.Turned room stat to full-no change.
Any ideas chaps.

Sponsored Links
So everything appears to be ok, how about a story describing when, and under what circumstances, it shuts down so as to give the gas boys a chance to diagnose the problem? (when they get up :LOL: )

It will fire first thing then once a hint of heat is reaching the rads the boiler will shut down for a while then fire up for 30 secs.
If I turn the tank thermostat up the boiler will fire up and send water to the HW tank.

At a guess I would say either the motorised valve isn't powering fully over to CH, the seating inside the motorised valve has become dislodged and is blocking port A of the valve (happens with honeywells usually), or the pump is running slow.

Sponsored Links
Cheers SIFU, I suppose your saying that a lack of flow means the boiler is shutting off.
I,ll try replacing the motorised valve first.

Try moving the valve over manually either by pushing the lever over to heating and holding it there, or by removing the head and operating the spindle manually (preferable). Turn the HW stat up and check the heat goes to the rads. This will eliminate three things: sludge in the system, a faulty pump and a damaged valve body. If you have managed to eliminate these then I would suggest replacing the actuator.

Things not going so well.
CH side is completly dead today.
The pump does work, as it is pumping the hot water, if I maually move the CH motorised valve over while the HW tank is calling for heat then hot water also flows around the rads.
So:
1.Pump works
2.No sludge
3.HW works
4.Pump will push water around CH if I manually divert the MValve.

What is the actuator sifu ?

dan-dare1 said:
What is the actuator sifu ?

The electrical part (head) of the motorised valve. Sounds like this or the synchron motor within the head is faulty. You could take a chance and try replacing the motor as this is the cheapest option, and it's only two wires.

SIFU............ :D SIFU............ :D SIFU............ :D SIFU............ :D SIFU............ :D SIFU............ :D
Your the main man, bought a new valve and a new motor, replaced the motor on the motorised valve first and "PROPER JOB" all back to normal.
My wife sends a big hug, thanks SIFU. Give yourself a pat on the back. And happy Xmas.

Haha, no problem, 'tis the season of goodwill after all :D
P.S. thank your wife for the hug... very welcome :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back