Glowworm Combi hot water and pressure problems - help!

cnc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now I'm not too technical when it comes to boilers, but let me take through the story :D

I have a Glowworm Compact Electronic - there is no number, just this name on the boiler. About 18 months ago I came home to find the pressure was too low for it to work - I spoke to Glowworm, they told me how to increase the pressure, sorted.

The pressure in the boiler after that ran too high if anything. I sorted this out as the weather turned this autumn. Heating worked fine (one radiator did take a while to warm up but has been fine since) and the hot water was fine too, although it had it cut out on the over ride a few times over the summer.

In the last month I have had more problems, mostly with the hot water. The boiler has been cutting out after about 20 seconds when hot water is called for, instead of the usual 40 seconds or so. The result is a luke warm bath, etc, etc. I got round this by running the water slower, although it did cut out occasionally.

This method didn't work yesterday though - I left the bath running slowly for a few minutes and it was ice cold. It had cut out, so I reset it and continued on. However, after the burner had ignited and gone out as normal, the pressure suddenly increased from 1 bar up to 3 bar really quickly, in a couple of seconds. The boiler made some funny noises, hard to describe - like it was going a bit mad. I turned the boiler off at the mains electricity, ran the hot water until the pressure came back down and tried again - same thing. Cue much anxiety last night as I thought I would be killed by a Glow worm :LOL:

The pressure also dropped to zero (without the boiler actually being called upon to do anything) during this period - it took a long time to refill. I have checked for leaks and can find none anywhere, but this seemed weird....

Today I have not tried the hot water. The heating works fine, but the pressure has dropped over the last 3 hours or so from 1.5 bar to 0.5 bar - I've obviously stopped it so that I can correct that.

So, I know full well that I need the boiler serviced and seen too, but is there anything I can do in the meantime to struggle through until I have some money to sort it (probably March), or would an engineer condemn the boiler as blinkin' dangerous and shake his head at me whilst saying "dear oh dear, what a mess"

Any help with this rambling tale of confusion would be gratefully appreciated

;)

Sponsored Links
The boiler requires a service. The pressure problem is either the exp/vessel haas no air or a blockage where the vessel connects to the boiler. Intermittant hot water I would recommend both diaphragms are changed .

Not quite as serious as first feared then? Thanks for the advice - I'll sort out a service ASAP

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back