GlowWorm Ultracom combi with radiators & ufh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there

I need assistance in trying to get me to understand how to get the full benefit out of fitting a Glow worm Ultracom combi with a wireless Climapro2 programmable roomstat and a weather sensor.

The Climapro is a 2 channel roomstat which is my case will control the heating system and hot water preheat mode on/off settings

Presently I have got an Ideal Isar combi dying in my airing cupboard- corroding, leaking, error coding etc etc. A Glow worm Ultracom 2 is sitting in the hallway waiting to be installed by me

The Ideal boiler heats up one zone with rads on it controlled by a Danfoss TP50000si programmable roomstat and the other zone with 5 under floor heating circuits on it controlled by 5 Polyplumb/John Guest programmable roomstats.
Each zone has a two port zone valve on it . As far as i can tell when a ufh prog roomstat calls for heat it activates the actuator on the manifold and in turn the zone valve opens, the boiler kicks in and we have heat. Similarily with the prog roomstat on the radiator side opening the other zone valve

Each zone can work independently of each other or together as required

After being in touch with Glow worm technical I am confused with two different ways of thinking. Also I do not want to spend a lot more money if the gain is only pennies!

1. One chap said get another Climapro and a Systempro and rewire the system into the Systempro which seemed a bit excessive to me

2.Another chap said keep with the Climapro for the radiator side and hot water control and do not bother with ufh as I already have 5 prog roomstats anyway, and the difference would by negligible

I do not understand how having two climapros would give me a worthwhile gain and also, wouldn't it conflict with the ufh prog roomstats?

Anyone got any thoughts on this confusing subject ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Assuning you are not, then how will you deal with the warranty, Benchmark Certificate and notifying Building Control?

Tony

Sorry about the delay...Yes I am Gas Safe qualified and getting ready to cough up again for that ' privilege '

I have had a conversation with the electrician who originally wired in the ufh and his main concern is that the 24v Climapro2 may interfere with the other 230v programmers or vice versa

He going to ring up Glow worm tomorrow on my behalf and he is going to find out if me spending an extra £200-£300 for an extra Climapro and Sytempro is really worth it especially when used with the ufh, as ufh is quite slow at heating up when compared with radiators

Thanks for the rogue trader concern though!

Sponsored Links
If you're Gas Safe Registered, send your GSR number to Admin and they'll let you into the Combustion Chamber, you'll get a less frosty reception there ;)

2x climapros, systempro and outside sensor is the way to go. bin the current control for the ufh.
otherwise you will just have to use regular controls and no climapro. The benefits of the climapro/systempro and outside sensor justify the added cost imo and a far superior control system to on/off stuff.

If you're Gas Safe Registered, send your GSR number to Admin and they'll let you into the Combustion Chamber, you'll get a less frosty reception there ;)

Ha ! Never noticed that forum before! I will!

Cheers

2x climapros, systempro and outside sensor is the way to go. bin the current control for the ufh.
otherwise you will just have to use regular controls and no climapro. The benefits of the climapro/systempro and outside sensor justify the added cost imo and a far superior control system to on/off stuff.

Blimmin Ink!

That means bin 5 ufh stats and a rad stat....hmmm

Well, I have nearly finished putting the boiler in and at the moment it is working via the present prog stats on the rads and ufh, I may end up sending the climapro back as it seems way too expensive just for the sake of having a weather sensor. Glow worm reckon it adds about 2% to the boiler efficiency, so if my annual gas bill was £1000 does that mean I would save £20...or am I looking at it with my glasses upside down!?

UPDATE:

After two sparkys and another gas engineer have visited, we have come to the conclusion that it is not worth the extra money - £347- to replace the Danfoss TP5000si with the Systempro 2 zone kit. The claimed gain of 2%on the boiler efficiency would mean it would take approximately 20 years for payback ...I would have thought that Glow worm would have made the system work with both 24v and 230v at the same time and not either/or, according to technical .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back