Glowworm Xtramax losing pressure every night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, new here so go easy ;)

As the cold weather draws in, am hoping to fix a problem with our glowworm boiler that has been going on for a while, simply for the fact that we really don't have the wedge to fix it.

Every morning, when we wake up the boiler has dropped to 0.6 bar and has to be repressurized.

Now, I don't believe there are any leaks round the house.....a plumber was out about 8 months ago to service it and said the expansion vessel was bucked and quoted about 300 to fix it, which we didn't have......still don't ffs.

Firstly, from reading here this does indeed sound like the culprit......is my check for that to push the Tyre valve in in the vessel and check if water pushes out?

Secondly, best place to buy these vessels? Is it a job someone technical albeit not a plumber can do?

Thirdly, 300 quid?

Cheers in advance peeps

Andy

Sponsored Links
No, it's not just a question of pressing the schraeder valve, you need to depressurise the system first, even then you can get quite a lot of water (condensation) out. Then check it with a car tyre pressure gauge, should be about 1bar

OK Mick, cheers for that.

But would it be a fair assumption to suspect the exp vessel based on the symptoms?

It would be a fair assumption to suspect a problem with it, however that does not mean it has to be replaced at this stage.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, OK........not sure I follow. Can't be having this waking up to an ice cold lark with a 1 year old see.

So, just an fyi.....this morning, house was polar. Checked the display and we were at 0.6 bar with a red flashing light. So I repressurized up to around 1.8 and the heating span up.

Checked a few moments ago and it was a steady 2.6 while burning.

Checked outside while like this and there was a constant stream of drips from the drain.

A

1.8 is a bit high, you only want 1 bar when cold.
Sounds as though you will need a new PRV but we'll come to that.
From 1bar cold the pressure will rise a bit while heating, but shouldn't go above 2 bar. If it does the vessel will need recharging with air.

You need to get it sorted as you will have seriously diluted or removed your inhibitor.

try looking at the pressure release valve dripping. this is the most likely culprit. happens all the time. Turn the pressure up to 1.5 and turn the boiler on. if it drips then its letting by and dropping the pressure. This is the small 15mm pipe sticking out the wall near the boiler. If it is dripping then replace it or flick the valve open quickly this will normally seal the problem. its just like a dripping tap.

From 1bar cold the pressure will rise a bit while heating, but shouldn't go above 2 bar. If it does the vessel will need recharging with air.
Have you done this yet?

turn it to the right. it will rise up then click down again

well it would if it was a caleffi valve which it isnt. It has a lever on it which you pull, but I wouldn't advise doing that, it generally makes it worse. Clicking them open for a second hardly ever works and usually makes them worse. There will be very had deposits the rubber seating, this won't budge with a bit of water. Anyway, the op needs to recharge the vessel, the prv will only open again if its not sorted. My advice if your not sure is get someone in. Its a 30min job to drop the pressure, recharge the vessel and clean or replace the PRV for a pro.

300 quid doesn't sound too bad, some boilers have to come off the wall to change the vessel, and that is never fun, especially when they are older, always leak in the damnest places ><

Have you done this yet?

Hi bud, sorry for the slow reply, haven't been very well. Haven't done anything to the heating for the same reason. We are just getting in to the habit of recharging every morning when we get up.

I don't want to be doing this any longer as previously mentioned, I am sure the inhibitor is very diluted, if present at all.

I only recharge it to 1 bar and it generally climbs to about 1.5/6 when heating now.

If anything, all we see from the drain is the odd drip.....most certainly not the flood I would expect to lose pressure. Maybe I am wrong in thinking that.

We are off on holidays next week and I plan to shut the heating down for this period. Do i need to take any action on the system in that period or is it relatively safe in our absence?

The last plumber did say he tried to recharge the vessell but it was full of water, hence he suggested the replacement.

TBH, I don't want him near the house again as when he left, I smelt gas and evacuated the house. I returned in myself to find that he neglected to replace the seal on the gas filter.....if that's actually what it was, A wee chamber on the gas inlet with a bolt top lid, that's what he called it anyway.

Anyway, this was a gas safe guy and it put the ****s up me.

Probably not the place but would appreciate any recommendations for a good gas boiler engineer in Belfast.......everyone that has come to our house has been on recommendation from some form or another and they have all done something wrong.

That is why we thought we were safe going with a gas safe registered one

Thanks
Andy

turn it to the right. it will rise up then click down again

well it would if it was a caleffi valve which it isnt. It has a lever on it which you pull, but I wouldn't advise doing that, it generally makes it worse. Clicking them open for a second hardly ever works and usually makes them worse. There will be very had deposits the rubber seating, this won't budge with a bit of water. Anyway, the op needs to recharge the vessel, the prv will only open again if its not sorted. My advice if your not sure is get someone in. Its a 30min job to drop the pressure, recharge the vessel and clean or replace the PRV for a pro.

There was actually a wee red cylindrical knob on this boiler connected to the outlet pipe.....

I am assuming this is what we are talking about, a light turn in either direction did nothing but then there was some resistance at which point i chickened out

A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back