Glued toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Found the upstairs toilet floor with about a centimeter of water, turned out that the cistern was dripping due to a crack. Fortunately the feed pipe had a tap, so I was able to turn it off and empty the cistern before removing it. I hadn't done anythng to it since buying the house twenty years ago, but the previous owner had an original way of doing things. Removing the cistern, the screws were severely rusted and one of the little brackets beneath was hanging off. A large slice of plaster came away as well, it turned out the cistern had been glued to the wall with some liquid plastic foam !
So I had to replaster it, wait a couple of days for it to dry a bit, then fix a new cistern with 4 inch stainless steel screws, so I guess it won't be falling off again. Fitted a flap valve instead of the siphon and I'm really pleased with the result.

Sponsored Links
Not the best use for glue. But my lord, there are some good glues out there these days.

*sniff* :p

The trouble with glue is that a glued joint can't be stronger than the surfaces it is stuck too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back