Glueing polystyrene

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. I've just taken the covers of my car baby seat as the polystyrene had come loose. When the covers came of the whole polystrene mould had come away from the plastic seat frame. Could anyone tell me what type of adhesive would fix it back in without attacking the polystyrene please.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The only thing that comes to mind is double sided sticky tape - lots of it. Polystyrene is notoriously susceptible to chemical attack. I wouldn't like to try any kind of contact adhesive on it. :!: :!: :!:

solvent-free contact adhesives might be OK, or a PVA adhesive, but it's hold to the plastic base may be a little doubtful.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys, its much appreciated. It looks like it had some kind of glue on previously, possibly a type of hot glue or something as it looks as if its been drizzled on. Do you think 'no nails' or similar?

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
TicklyT said:
it's hold to the plastic base may be a little doubtful.

That's the problem. Not many adhesives will stick to plastic, especially poly-olefins, unless they actually dissolve the surface - and anything that did that would almost certainly eat into the polystyrene. :( :( :( If you want to try a water-based adhesive, do a test first by gluing a piece of wood to the plastic. Does it grip at all? :?: :?: :?:

I don't think I'd trust a baby seat that falls apart.

Yeah I'd agree normally, however its one of those 3 in 1 prams, so it's part of the whole thing. Which makes it a little costly to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back