Going into trade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just curious about the relative benefits and restrictions about getting into the trade. At the moment I have no formal qualifications but quite a bit of experience doing jobs by word of mouth. I have found that my temperament is suited to painting and decorating and can produce good quality results, I have a good attention to small detail, patience and refuse to cut corners for example.

However, does the lack of formal qualifications restrict me from doing it professionally? Is experience and quality of work more (or as) important as certificates, or is there only so far I can go.

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsored Links
There are no standards in this game because there's too many (in) competent diyer's, bloke down the pub, eastern european, semi - retired, firemen and handymen doing it, knock yourself out mate, i doubt you'd do any worse than most of the aforementioned.

Sponsored Links
Yeah - go for it :idea: I had 2 decorators before me in my family - and the only 1 apprenticed was my granddad - in c.1918 ;) dad learned from his dad and also taught a M8 of mine who used to be a gardener . Never be afraid to ask if in doubt - here on diynot or in your local decorators supply outlet . Good Luck ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back