Dulux Trade Diamond Matt or Endurance + for DIY Painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have heard that Dulux Trade Diamond Matt is the best one to use for the matt finish,coverage and longevity. Then why do most of us self decorators use the retail paints normally? Is Trade Paint difficult to apply? Can it be used by non- professionals? Anything in particular one should look out for?
Secondly is it a huge difference between endurance + and trade diamond matt other than the price?
Thanks.megan

Sponsored Links
Trade paint tends to more expensive due to its superior quality, coverage and pigmentation.

The DIY person does a DIY job, a trade painter will apply a trade product safe in the knowledge that the paint finish and longevity of material warrants the cost of use.

My attitude as a DIYer has always been to use the best quality products. I don't want a job for me or for anyone that pays me to look poor a year or two down the line.

Case in point is external works. X £1000s for scaffold and labour, why quibble over the £75 cost difference between trade and DIY product when it will look better and offer far more service time.

I agree but just worried whether Trade product needs better skill to use it. Also if I need to take any particular care. :unsure:Thanks.

The only real difference is that DIY paint is thinned down so that the punter does a better job. You ALWAYS have to thin trade paints or you get a right mess. Then again, the word TRADE is just used as a marketing gimmick these days.

Sponsored Links
The only real difference is that DIY paint is thinned down so that the punter does a better job. You ALWAYS have to thin trade paints or you get a right mess. Then again, the word TRADE is just used as a marketing gimmick these days.

If I am a bit unsure as to how much to dilute it,etc whats the next best thing? Dulux Endurance ? What's the difference between Trade supermatt and diamond matt(so confusing!). Megan.

Little green intellimatt is superior to both. The dulux does not give a true matt finish and can be difficult to apply. Trade paints are better pigmented but as Joe says require some preparation before use. Thinning by 10% is usually about the mark. You also get better obliteration and coverage. Some of the diy versions are particularly bad. Johnstones diy off the shelf is awful and dulux is pretty poor imo.
Supermatt is a contract emulsion and should be avoided for what you want, it is the complete opposite of an endurance type paint.

I normally use Dulux Trade Gloss from a builder's merchant on my woodwork, straight from the tin, with excellent results. Lay it on, lay it off, and leave it. De-nib first coat, apply second coat, job done.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back