DuluxDiamond Matt or Endurance Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I need to paint the hall and stairs inmy house ( large wall area with 13 doors, dado rails and coving) so lots of cutting in

We want a durable wipeable matt paint.
having used dulux trade (weathershied) paint i was looking at dulux diamond matt. but have heard there is difficulty in using it. I am not a trade decorator but a very good DIYer.

so i was wondering if it is better (with my skill level) if i use the diamond matt or the endurance matt?

whats the main difference between thse products and best for me to use.

many thansks in advance

Sponsored Links
I have heard of people having problems with diamond matt but havn't myself. It does do what it says on the tin, the only thing i find with it is its not a very true matt finish. Have just done an HSL in little green ultimatt and thats got a very good flat matt finish. Johnstones do one which is well rated and i havn't used the endurance (might just be the DIY version of diamond), actually TBH i've never heard of it! Most endurance wipeable matts are around £10 per litre and the little green was £55 for 5 litres, i cant speak for longevity yet but the finish is good and applied nicely after some thinning as it was very thick

I agree with dcdec that the Diamond Matt doesn't give what can be regarded as a proper matt finish and can also confirm that, having used the Endurance a few times, it also gives a similar finish and is pretty much the retail version of Diamond Matt, as suggested.
I will say that the Endurance does give a nice finish compared to the other retail paints (I've used it on a huge 3 level HSL wall without any problems) and is very wipeable. The walls are just as clean today as when I painted them some 18 months ago (gloss has yellowed badly though! :mad:).

Guys
thanks for that.
As i have no trade discount the diamond matt is VERY exppensive.
Just got some testers of the endurance from B&Q and they are doing buy 1 Dulux paint get the other 1/2 price so 10L = £45 which i thought was ok

I think i will go for the endurance. Because, from what i can gather, the diamond matt is a better paint but its more expensive and more difficult to use as well.

Any one with any more thoughts?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its always good to get an opinion from someone who's used a product and from what Mr H says it will do the job nicely for you at a very reasonable price. So nothing to add really

Probably too late to be of use, but according to Dulux, the Endurance paint has less pigment, but is easier to apply as it has less tendency to run i.e. they have put something in to make it more jelly like. I applied Endurance to the hallway, bedrooms and sitting room. It is not as matt as normal emulsion, but it is flat, and it hides marks, albeit not as well as normal matt. and it wipes clean. I rather like the finish, and I like the fact that it wipes clean without wearing away. I found it does not cover as well as normal emulsion. Two coats of matt white was probably enough but I used 3 for safety, whereas I applied 4 coats of Endurance. I've heard a pro (I'm an amateur) say that acrylic paints do not cover as well as normal ones.

well i have just finished the hall
seems not to cover as well as normal emulsion but two coats seem to be fine
( crossed fingers) feelsway more matt than what was on before ( but it was 9 years old so had probably been worn smooth.

so long as it lives up to its wiipeability then i will be happy

thanks all

Funnily enough, I was in the property I mentioned previously this morning and the walls really do still look perfect. The couple living there have recently had a baby so I guess the Endurance will be getting the ultimate test before long!! :LOL:

Funnily enough, I was in the property I mentioned previously this morning and the walls really do still look perfect. The couple living there have recently had a baby so I guess the Endurance will be getting the ultimate test before long!! :LOL:

Nice to know. I am hoping my Endurance painted walls will last ages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back