Dulux Diamond Matt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to decorate a large 2-storey hallway (i.e. gallery landing with open void), and only want to do it VERY infrequently. We intend to get a professional in to paint as the space is just too tall and awkward for us to do ourselves.

We have seen info on Dulux Trade Diamond Matt, which looks as if it may give the matt finish we need, but allow good durability. Our decorator is not against Diamond Matt, but has no experience of it. We have seen really good and really bad reports, however.

Does anyone have any first hand views? Is it the right way to go, or are there better solutions?

Thanks,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Its good stuff , Ive used it on several house/jobs over the last few years & its lasted well , the good thing is you can scrub marks off without damaging/polishing the finish - ideal in high traffic areas (kids!) ..Expensive though at about £50 a gallon now I think , but weigh that up against having to re-paint after 6-12 months with 'normal' vinyl matt... I see other manufacturers have started bringing out their 'tough' versions but - Crown/Johnstones/Leyland but Ive not tried them yet ..
Another alternative if you can afford it is 'dead-flat' oil-based paint or eggshell if you like a slight sheen.

Johnstones or Wilko's is just as good. As long as it says 10x toughness you'll be OK.

Is the Johnstones ok,have you used it ? I can get that stuff a lot cheaper than Dulux, would save me a packet !

Sponsored Links
Ive just used some Johnstones tuff stuff this morning on a stair wall,seems as good as the Dulux . My customer asked for vinyl matt but I talked her into trying this as it was the same price as the Crown v/matt she wanted .(£25, HALF the price of the Dulux!)

LJW, which particular Johnstones paint are you referring to? Thanks.

It was Johnstones Durable Matt..I gave it the 'scrub test' today and it performed well - didnt 'polish-up'... Wouldnt say it has quite the covering power of the Dulux but the end result looked similar & seems just as, er, durable... Mine came from a Johnstones trade supplier (£24 a gallon , trade discount )- cant say whether the DIY outlets version of Johnstones is as good...
Rgds to Joe-90 ;)

Thanks all, particularly LJW61. I'll take a look at the Johnstones and take the plunge after that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back