Going mad here, RCBO tripping with light bulb.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whole CU is RCBOs since 6 months. Fine, no issues

So, I put in a new wall light, one 25W incandescent bulb, connect to the RCBO for that room, switch on, the bulb lights for a nano-second then the RCBO trips.

Oh, think I. The cable to the switch might have a screw through it. So I bypass the switch, wire straight to the fitting - I can do that as there's a JB for the fitting a few feet away in the CU cupboard.
Nope, still trips.

Try another bulb. Same.

So now I try both bulbs in another fitting on the same RCBO in the same room, both OK.

So, perhaps the bulbholder in the light fitting is bad. So I connect another bulbholder to the JB on a bit of cable, disconnect the wall light. Still trips.

Now I take the feed from the CU out of the JB, connect the bulbholder straight to the feed.
Still trips.

Remove the bulb, it doesn't trip, so it's not the cable.

Arrrgh.

So now I connect a brand new bit of cable, couple of foot, to the out of the RCBO and the N buss, no earth this time, hang the bulbholder on the end and it still trips!!!
Connect to another RCBO on another lighting circuit, same.

Disconnect the existing L from the RCBO so there's only my new bit of cable and bulbholder and bulb, and it still trips.

WTF is going on, in the forty-five years I've been connecting things to the electrikery the power has always flowed from the L through the load back to the N, simple, am I going mad?

Sponsored Links
to the out of the RCBO and the N buss,

The RCBO will have a Neutral IN and a Neutral OUT.

You connect the lamp to the Neutral OUT and not to the Neutral buss bar

You connect the Neutral IN to the Neutral buss bar

OK, so I put away the library steps, go get the stepladder, now I can see over the top of the RCBOs. Yes, it says, something.
Down to the garage, get my specs.
N out.
Well, who knew that.

Connect it up, it works wheeeee.

Thankyou chaps, the power of the forum.

And it's clever, isn't it, how they design these things so silly old fools can't harm themselves.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back