RCBO faulty or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a valid test?

I just wanted to do a basic test of an RCBO I had to see if the test function worked.

I connected it to a 13A socket.
When I pressed the test button the RCBO tripped, but so did the RCBO in the CU connected to the ring.

Do you think this is normal behaviour? I know you wouldn't design it with two 30mA devices in series.

Both RCBO's are the same brand.

Sponsored Links
I think you've answered your question - two RCD's on same circuit in effect will trip

How on earth did you wire up the rcbo under test safely???

The 100ma S type delayed RCD would trip in the main board when the test button was pressed on the 10ma RCD built into the work bench so nothing wrong there.

But to test a RCD you need to also measure time. 6 tests in all the first 2 at half the rated value with positive half cycle and with negative half cycle both should fail to trip the RCD.

At rated current again both pos and neg should trip the RCD.

And at double rated value again both pos and neg it should be under 40ms.

I fail to see how one can ever measure 40ms or ensure either pos or neg without using a proper RCD tester.

The test button is purely to ensure it can mechanical trip and is not a valid method of testing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back