Faulty MK 80amp RCBO ?

Was this installation designed ?
6mm 3 core swa backed up at the board in the property by a 20amp 30ma RCBO
~~snip~~
we also have a 32amp ring circuit for a couple of other sockets which run a projector and what ever else
Is it a 32 amp ring because it has a 32 amp MCB or RCBO in the summer house CU ?

I am thinking an error in the wiring. If you plug something else such in to the socket where the projector was plugged in does that trip the RCBO ? If it does there is a wiring error. Probably a neutral in the wrong bus bar.

The 3 core swa is terminated in s galv box below the MK board it then is wired into the double pole main swit of the board then the live goes through to the RCBO rated at 80amp 30ma then through that to the bus bar on the bottom which in turn feeds the local mcbs one being a 32amp ring circuit.
The neutral goes through the double pole main switch then wired into the neutral bar at the top of the DB a neutral from the RCBO goes to the neutral bar as well

Sponsored Links
The neutral goes through the double pole main switch then wired into the neutral bar at the top of the DB a neutral from the RCBO goes to the neutral bar as well
That sounds like only the Live is going through the RCBO. In which case it is no wonder the RCBO is tripping.

HINT the RCBO compares the current flowing along the Neutral with the current flowing along the Live. Hence there has to be a Neutral IN and a Neutral OUT connected to the RCBO

That sounds like only the Live is going through the RCBO. In which case it is no wonder the RCBO is tripping. ... HINT the RCBO compares the current flowing along the Neutral with the current flowing along the Live. Hence there has to be a Neutral IN and a Neutral OUT connected to the RCBO
That would be true. However, as others have suggested, I suspect that most/all these "RCBOs" we're hearing about are RCDs and/or MCBs - have you come across an "80A 30mA RCBO" in a consumer unit?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
... if that final statement relates to the supply side of the RCD (just as the first part of the sentence presumably relates to the supply side of the main switch), then there's no indication of any idiocy, is there?
If there is a second Neutral bar that the RCBO feeds then it might be correctly wired.

Until the OP posts a picture it is nigh on impossible to diagnose the problem.

... if that final statement relates to the supply side of the RCD (just as the first part of the sentence presumably relates to the supply side of the main switch), then there's no indication of any idiocy, is there?
If there is a second Neutral bar that the RCBO feeds then it might be correctly wired.
Yes, but as I said, the OP could have been talking about the supply side of the device (quite probably a DP RCD, not an RCBO) - in which case, again, it might be correctly wired.
Until the OP posts a picture it is nigh on impossible to diagnose the problem.
Quite so. Speculative accusations of 'idiocy' are certainly not justified on the basis of the limited 'hard facts' that we have!

Kind Regards, John

I did write a long explanation but there are so many variations with what has been said it was pointless.

I feel confident, though, in saying it is wired wrongly.

I don't think it's wired correctly either lol :LOL:

Are both rcd neutrals connected to the same neutral block?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back