Installing RCBO Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to remove existing MCB's and install 2x RCBO's for the lighting circuit as these circuits currently do not have RCD protection.

Before doing the job I have a couple if queries

1. The other MCB's e.g. sockets/cooker are RCD protected, so can i leave these and just install 2x new rcbo's for the lighting circuit?

2. Can I use a 6 Amp 30mA RCBO - MK (Type A) B Curve

Or should I buy the 10 Amp version as the electrician who fitted the board used a 10 Amp breaker originally?

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_143638008~2.jpg
    IMG_20240305_143638008~2.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Maybe you could just move them to 10 and 11?
Not sure that's wise.

If the RCD trips then all of the circuits in the house won't work and finding the faulty circuit will be difficult.

If anything, I guess I could install another RCD

And have one lighting circuit and one ring main on this.. Would be cheaper too.

The electrician who fitted this board is real ****.. Did a cheap job.

Sponsored Links
FWIW it’s not dangerous either

Problem is that there are still too many muppets fitting dual RCD boards when they should be fitting RCBO boards

Problem is that there are still too many muppets fitting dual RCD boards when they should be fitting RCBO boards
Could that be partly down to cost and lack of understanding on the clients part?

I remember a few years back, i got a consumer unit changed and the spark suggested RCBO instead of the basic RCD/MCB combo.

At the time, I didn't really understand the benefit and flinched when i saw the cost..

The cost difference these days is much smaller and you’ll recoup that the first time you have a problem as it’s immediately obvious which circuit is faulty

Last edited:

FWIW dual RCD boards are still compliant and there are probably millions of them safely protecting their home and household.
Quite honestly for an installation as small as OP I wouldn't be worried about upgrading to all RCBO.

Great will pick up a couple of these then

MK 6 Amp Type A - B Curve RCBO

I take back what i said about the electrician as it was compliant at the time.
The first thing to do is remove the cover (power switched off of course) and check there is room in there to take those RCBO's. Not all of the range had space and also the way it's wired.
Do the supply compact versions in Sentry range?

I'd suggest getting a 6A and a 32A for lights and ring.

Main switch, ring, lights, blank, RCD, ring, lights, cooker.

FWIW dual RCD boards are still compliant and there are probably millions of them safely protecting their home and household.
Quite honestly for an installation as small as OP I wouldn't be worried about upgrading to all RCBO.

I didn’t say dual boards are non compliant or unsafe

I was just stating the fact that they don’t make any sense these days when installing new or updating units

Last edited:
I'm planning to only uograde the lighting curcuits from standard MCB's to RCBO's because currently I have no RCD protection to any of the lighting circuits.

I only found out about this when adding a new light to my uninhabitable loft area.

I will all of the other circuits e.g. Ring and cooker in place as they are RCD protected.

The first thing to do is remove the cover (power switched off of course) and check there is room in there to take those RCBO's. Not all of the range had space and also the way it's wired.
Great shout! Will check this out.
Do the supply compact versions in Sentry range?
I will have to call and find out. Compact screams pricier though.
I'd suggest getting a 6A and a 32A for lights and ring.

Main switch, ring, lights, blank, RCD, ring, lights, cooker.
Oh are you saying the following..

Assuming there's space in the CU

1. Get 1x 6A and 1x 32A RCBO. Then install this on the left side of the CU.

2. On the right hand side use the existing RCD then put the other lighting circuit here and Bob's your uncle?

If i understood you correctly, can I ask why you favour this method? Clearly it must be beneficial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back