Going over the top of asbestos garage roof ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been asked a few times to renew corrugated sheeting on garage flat roofs that are leaking . My question is how do you lads get round this do you strip it off or go over the top. In the past I have stripped it and loaded the asbestos into the van which was years ago and managed to dump it in a local skip. I was thinking on using Flexacrill or something similar seen a couple done in that metal planwell stuff looks good but never used it myself.

Any ideas on the best was to tackle this ?

Sponsored Links
Without spending HUUUUGE amounts on skips the best way is to leave it in place and encapsulate it, we use a product called Sealoflex (not cheap but works well) but of course there are many other alternatives.

If we have to remove the sheets we can generally leave on site bagged up and our clients get rid of as some councils will collect it at no charge

I have also coated a few corrugated asbestos sheets in my time. This page has lots of info and a photo:

http://www.roofmoss.net/remove-moss-from-asbestos-roofs.html

I have seen one where decking boards were fixed on top of the sheets and then torch on felt was used, personally I thought it looked crappy around the edges and generally uneven. It wouldn't take this approach.

Is it ok to fix ply/OSB boards on top of the Asbestos sheeting? How would you get a fixing? Into the joists is the only way to get a decent fixing surely?

Cheers

Tony.

Sponsored Links
Thanks lads. Going to phone the couple tomorrow and put it to them with a quote to go over the existing asbestos garage with a liquid coating.

Zeberdee the garages around my way are they prefab ones which the panels bolt together I have see a few with the metal roof covering I take it there fixed through into the joists and not just into the asbestos ? I will try and find out how they fix it .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back