going rate for a plumber

lol
i have certainly opened a can of worms here haven't i!!!!!!!!!!!!
Listen guys the last thing i would want to do is dis plumbers..... i don't class myself as stupid and as an boss myself i am happy to pay the proper money for the skill, time learning bah bah bah etc etc
From the replies it seems he is in the ballpark area so thats all i wanted to know
as for more info yes im in the Middlesex area and yes plumbers are paid more in the london area and i should of stated that
What i will keep an eye on is how long it takes him as i thought 10 to 12 days was stretching it a bit
of course now i've said that some you will come back at me stating "well if hes knocked it out in 7 days he still deserves the 2200 cause he knocked his pipe out doing it!
Sorry i asked now
By the way he will only be doing 8 to 4.30 with the regular breaks thrown in as i'm not a **** employer myself
thanks for the responses and i think there are one or two people on here who need to get a life

Sponsored Links
By the way this is a DIY site. Think you meant to type in moneysavingexpert..com?

Unless you count haggling as a DIY skill?

so i'm not allowed to ask?
you don't haggle about anything?
obviously you have too much money! well i haven't so yes it is a DIY skill i have, live with it mate!

also i forgot to mention
this plumber was recommended by my builder (i just happened to know of him in my area and know his work is good) How would i know that his first quote of 2800 didnt include a little "drink" for the builder heh? because when i did use the "HAGGLE" word you seem to hate he dropped his price £600 in a flash?
Funny that isnt it?
You should try it some time

Sponsored Links
Quite surprised your plumber was prepared to haggle actually, I'd have told you that the price is the price, take it or leave it...but maybe he's short of work and prepared to earn less just to keep himself occupied, or maybe he'll be cutting corners now that he wouldn't have done had the original price been kept to

yes i can see your point but i have got all the stuff he required on site already and gone over the job regarding where everything is going to be sited etc etc listen he is a good guy and i do think the money he dropped (very quickly) was going elsewhere (in my opinion) so he didnt seem to downhearted about it to be honest and no he is a busy person and isnt struggling for work
to be honest if you are struggling for work as a good plumber in London at the moment then that plumber is crap

If there was a 'little drink in it for the builder' then I would imagine that the builder is the one you should be concerned about - not the plumber.

I am sorry that you got a bad reaction on here regarding you question. You have to remember that plumbing is just like any other business, in that the whole point of it is to make a profit. Some will make more profit than others but it's the customer who has to decide whether he is happy with the quote.

Personally I think £200 a day is fine. As said previously, he would have to deduct tax, insurance, fuel and will probably still be thinking about the job when he gets home. But if you are not happy then you should try someone else for a quote.

Plumbers get fed up with being labelled as rip-off merchants (not accusing you personally). Some potential customers think that I do plumbing as some kind of hobby for a bit of pocket money. Plumbing is hard work and if a jobs not worth it I would rather stay at home.

You have to weigh up whether £200 per day is worth his expertise or not.

If there was a 'little drink in it for the builder' then I would imagine that the builder is the one you should be concerned about - not the plumber.

I am sorry that you got a bad reaction on here regarding you question. You have to remember that plumbing is just like any other business, in that the whole point of it is to make a profit. Some will make more profit than others but it's the customer who has to decide whether he is happy with the quote.

Personally I think £200 a day is fine. As said previously, he would have to deduct tax, insurance, fuel and will probably still be thinking about the job when he gets home. But if you are not happy then you should try someone else for a quote.

Plumbers get fed up with being labelled as rip-off merchants (not accusing you personally). Some potential customers think that I do plumbing as some kind of hobby for a bit of pocket money. Plumbing is hard work and if a jobs not worth it I would rather stay at home.

You have to weigh up whether £200 per day is worth his expertise or not.

London on £200/day??? Now that's a whole new kettle of fish!! That's far too cheap for London & with that in mind, why would he drop his price by £600 so easily??

Why is he not the Builders subbie? Then he could be included in the 'Small Works' building contract you have with the Main Contractor.

no
the price i agreed with builder was up to end of first fix
i had a plumber in mind but by the time i needed him
he was unavailable..........and yes i agree its the builder who i should have words with...................still ,does that make me wrong for asking?
if you were in same position wouldnt you?

no, do you ask your dentist, solicitor, account for a discount?

why do people think its ok to pick on tradesmen? Just because they are sole traders?

cos dentists and the like are not sub contracted thats why

No, I don't haggle with a person's price. I find it deeply insulting. How would like your boss to come up to you and say that he doesn't think you're worth your salary (despite being some oik parachuted it from another department and therefore not qualified to judge) and then in the same breath ask how you would feel to a 20% pay cut that week? If you don't accept it you're out on your ear.

If I need to get a price for some work, I will ask a preferred contractor in to give a price. Depending on what comes back I will then either accept or get a few more in.

THEN, I will consider going back to the preferred guy. If I'm not using him I will say why, then it is up to him if he wants to drop the price; I certainly wouldn't insist on it as I don't want to be considered a Grade 1 arsehole.

A price is a price. If the price is a joke then go elsewhere. It will teach the joker to lower them. If the price is correct then happy days.

I find people who haggle on the whole to be one or more of the following:

Tight fisted PITA's.
Embarrassed to be earning less than a mere plumber.
Unlikely to pay up at the end of the job.
Have no idea of the job at hand but think they know it all.
Time wasters.

Dan
im afraid im none of the 5 comments you pointed out and seems to me your ****ed off( as a skilled plumber i take it) that i got the discount....if thats what it is
Point is im glad i did period

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back