Going through the roof

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi Experts,

I’m seeking as much advice as is reasonably possible, as I’ve no frame of reference to determine if the info I’ve been given is “Reasonable”, “On the high side” or just “bat **** crazy!”

Here’s the background. My wife and I are looking to retire in Portugal. We’ve found a great old house and with a lot of love and twice as much money, we think it will be the perfect place to hang up our boots. Apart from the Deathwatch Beetles, the downstairs is for the most part acceptable. But the Roof and upstairs is another matter entirely.

The Survey we had commissioned says:
  • The roof structure is in poor condition, some elements may have a few more years in them, but they will eventually fail.
  • Both dry and wet rot were noted as well as insect infestation.
  • Wooden elements are shifting and are presently supported.
  • The roof should be completely removed and replaced
  • The entire area around the building would need to be encased in netted scaffolding to allow a safe work environment.
  • This structure would need to include a temporary roof covering to protect the internals of the building during the required works.
  • Just this installation will cost 20000-30000 euros.
  • All new tiles will be required as the present units are well past any re-use value. Considering Logistics, size of project and required materials (possibly including insulation) and gutters, downpipes. 80000-100000 euros.
The Roof is about 430 sqm, so working off of internet averages of €150/sqm my maths says €60-€70k and 2-3 weeks?

I’ll upload a few of the photos that tell the tale most effectively, but in your professional opinions, would you agree that there is about €100K of work required to get this roof back to full working order?

CDP-Fig-2.png CDP-Fig-3.png CDP-Fig-4.png CDP-Fig-5.png CDP-Fig-6.png

CDP-Fig-7.png CDP-Fig-8.png CDP-Fig-9.png

Thanks for taking the time to get this far.. and hopefully give some feedback.

CDP

Sponsored Links
Considering Logistics, size of project and required materials.....
....which no one on here is privy to. It would be difficult for any folk on here to determine, even if the job was in the UK. Impossible, considering it's in another country, lol.

As above . There is little info in the few pictures .
Location other than Portugal.
We have re roofed in Portugal a few years ago
Near Lagos .
I'd suggest get local quotes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back