Going to replace our old roofline with some nice PVC stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As title, looking to replace the old roofline with some PVC.

So far I have contacted Andrew Wright, Everest and Weatherseal to request brochures and then get some free estimates.

I will also contact some independents as well to get some good quotes.

Any advice on what to ask and what to watch out for??

Thanks

Rezarf

Sponsored Links
make sure the old wood comes off( best advice) over fascia type ventilation keeps it clean everest will charge about £100 per running metre a good local fitter will be £40 per metre or thereabouts i generally stick to "freefoam" fascia and soffits for quality but thats my choice good luck and dont be afraid to ask for an insurance backed guarantee

make sure the old wood comes off( best advice) over fascia type ventilation keeps it clean everest will charge about £100 per running metre a good local fitter will be £40 per metre or thereabouts i generally stick to "freefoam" fascia and soffits for quality but thats my choice good luck and dont be afraid to ask for an insurance backed guarantee

thanks for the advice.

What is an insurance backed guarantee?

Rezarf

any decent firm will give this free it is just an extra guarantee in case the firm ceases trading for any reason then you are still covered it is a legal requirement to offer it on window installations but i give it on fascia jobs too after all if you shell out a lot of money and you want peace of mind

Sponsored Links
any decent firm will give this free it is just an extra guarantee in case the firm ceases trading for any reason then you are still covered it is a legal requirement to offer it on window installations but i give it on fascia jobs too after all if you shell out a lot of money and you want peace of mind

ok thanks dude.

Just had a company come out and the measurements were 6m front and back, 2 down pipes and 28 caps for the verge.

Price was £1500, they also tried to throw in a paid holiday (well accommodation) and extra for finance (cash back) but would have had to take the deal there and then.

What is over fascia ventilation? Is this when the vents are not on the fascia, instead they raise the front tiles a wee bit??

Also what is "freefoam"? Is this the quality of the boards, ie what is in-between the solid pvc boards?

Thanks

Rezarf

freefoam is make of fascia board it carries a 20yr guarantee you can google it if you like the over fascia vents fix to the top of the fascia board and will not raise the tiles - you adjust the size of the fascia board accordingly with the dry verge end caps expect to pay between £900 and £1000 no wonder the salesman was trying to throw incentives in!!

Just had Everest out and i knew they would be expensive but they wanted £7135 down from £11000, with the possibility of a further discount to take it down to about £6000.

I mean how can the price range be so different, surely the quality can only go so far?

Rezarf

wow that is expensive even by everest standards unfortunately some people think if they pay more they get a better job!! at the end of the day the job will only be as good as the fitters that do the job the quality of materials is pretty similar across the board nowadays so imagine how much of that £7000 is profit ! 12metres of fascia soffit and gutter and dry verge on a gable =£7000 bloody hell !! 10% commission for salesman and 20% for the fitting team leaves about £4k profit

wow that is expensive even by everest standards unfortunately some people think if they pay more they get a better job!! at the end of the day the job will only be as good as the fitters that do the job the quality of materials is pretty similar across the board nowadays so imagine how much of that £7000 is profit ! 12metres of fascia soffit and gutter and dry verge on a gable =£7000 bloody hell !! 10% commission for salesman and 20% for the fitting team leaves about £4k profit

yeah i know, the sales lady was very nice and explained everything but i could have burst out laughing when she said the start price was £11000.

Well have plenty more companies to see and got a good knowledge on what questions to ask.

Everest did say they would replace any rotten timber up to 2 tiles back and they had some nice features like there gutter guard, but overall well over priced.

I assume you are able to get these extras from suppliers if you use an independent contractor?

yes depends what they mean by gutter guard if its the stuff that goes in the gutter to keep leaves out then this costs about £20 for your front and back if they mean eaves guard which goes under the felt then same price again but really this should be fitted anyway within the price as for replacing the timber up to two rows back ?? if the timber has rotted that far back then your roof is leaking or you have woodworm!!
basically procedure is remove first row of tiles, remove old fascia etc then screw blocks of timber or pvc to the sides of the existing rafters using a string line to keep all the blocks level and in line then once you are happy everything is level then fix new soffit and fascia with over fascia vents . fit new gutter and fit eaves guard under existing felt refit tiles with bird guards if required and that is it really as a simplified version of what to do in laymans terms hope this helps :)

we have just done a fascia and soffit job up our way 40m of fasci soffit gutter and downpipe £2500 all in done properly and and we made a decent profit £7000 seems very expensive to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back