Good book for best practices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst im never gonna make the heights of a fully qualified domestic installer, id like to make sure im doing things right, and follow best practices. Plust the pitfalls and safety checks...

For example i read here earlier about borrowed neutrals on lighting circuits :eek: christ on a bike, simple things like that, that could catch someone out, dont get me wrong i always double check any circuit after isolation with my trusty fluke pen.

Anyway id like a book based on the 17th regs that illustrates good wiring practices ie, wiring JB's preferred routes for cabling etc. Basics as well as advanced techniques, just to check i am and have been doing things the right way.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For example i read here earlier about borrowed neutrals on lighting circuits :eek: christ on a bike, simple things like that, that could catch someone out, dont get me wrong i always double check any circuit after isolation with my trusty fluke pen.

How would you check for a borrowed Neutral?

A very good question, hence my original post, now im hoping youll answer that for me!
Whilst im aware you could DIE if you're changing say the upstairs light fitting when your trusty wife comes running up the stairs and turns the landing light on, obviously not aware the borrowed neutral in your hand runs from the downstairs lighting circuit through the landing bulb and now through YOU.
MY practice is i normally cut the MCB for the circuit im working on and then test again. :( Again this seems a very poor practice.

Im having a new CU fitted next week by a qualified Sparky, so from then onwards i think ill always trip the RCD for that rail first just in case.

Talking of bad practice:

There's many more ive seen below. I wasn't even aware of this one and i need to read up on it:

"Running cables through insulation such as loft insulation with consideration of cable de-rating factors."

Adding more than one 13A twin socket as a spur off an existing ring socket.

Wiring sockets with Line and Neutral reversed - incorrect polarity

Omitting to use rubber grommets in metal back boxes.

Failing to mark up cpc (circuit protective conductor) with green/yellow sleeving when extending circuits.

Using incorrect cable size.

Installing light fittings in bathrooms and shower rooms which are not suitable for the zone.

Installing light fittings and light switches which require an earth into a lighting circuit without a cpc (circuit protective conductor).

Running a cable outside of permitted zone e.g. behind skirting boards or diagonally across walls.

Running cables through insulation such as loft insulation with consideration of cable de-rating factors.

Installing ventilator fans without manufacturers recommended fusing. E.G. Kitchen fan spurred off a 10A lighting circuit but fan requires a 3A fused supply.

Wiring a cooker hood without the correct in line fusing same as for fans.

Using a junction box with the wrong rating, e.g. teeing of a ring 32A ring circuit using a 20A junction box.

Using a junction box under floor boards (screw terminal connections should be easily accessible for inspection and testing).

Inappropriate use of flat twin and earth cable in outdoor applications. Cable is not approved by BASEC - British Approvals Service for Cables for external use.

Installing circuits into garden (pond pumps/lighting) without any RCD protection.

Not proving earth continuity back to main earth terminal.

Trapping wires when screwing covers back on (yes, electricians can do this too but an insulation test should indicate a problem)

How would you check for a borrowed Neutral?
changing say the upstairs light fitting when your trusty wife comes running up the stairs and turns the landing light on, obviously not aware the borrowed neutral in your hand runs from the downstairs lighting circuit through the landing bulb and now through YOU.
Well, that’s one way of finding it! :LOL:

I haven’t read them but have been advised that the NICEIC snags & solutions publications are supposed to be quite good.

Maybe someone who has a copy of any of them could offer some advice?

V

Sponsored Links
hi,
short of turning off the whole installation, the only way to work with unknown circuits is to....

1 as you disconnect the neutrals, watch for the telltale spark and anyhow check for dead with a test lamp.

2 proceed assuming the neutral could come live at any time with someone switching something on somewhere else. this means you basically treat the neutrals as live and work very carefully :eek:

the whole thing really isnt covered in any manuals or legislation. many electricians have been electrocuted despite following recognised safety procedures

The Scaddan books are very good. Not too much jargon and good explainations.
Discaimer; other electrical reference books are available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back