How not to train a apprentice! This is an actual true case.

S

sjwkmje

Been working with a plumber who to say the least has no grasp on the 15th edition let alone the 17th edition we have to comply with today. He was saying to me that he hates the red book, and his apprentice allways refers to it when doing work with him. So I let him talk for a while and it realised why this apprentice has to refer to the regs as this guy cuts cornors, even the basics safe zones cabling sizings, RCD protection, borrowed netruals on 17th edd installs where the bathrooms and upstairs lighting are sperate circuits he manages to create one by picking up the wrong netrual he does not grasp. Borrowed netruals should not happen with some testing and inspection before starting work. Exp on new rewires!

So get this he has banned his apprentice from looking at the reg books, guidance note 3 on site!

This plumber does not even allow him to do testing and inspection.

This is down right wrong. Because the way I feel the plumber has refused to let me talk to the apprentice to atleast tell him he is in the right and should refer to the regs and do things to the book. This guy is still in training so should be given every opputunity to learn and show how to do installs the correct way.

The guy went on about part p, did some checks and he is not a compitent person or registered to any trade body. So he should not even be doing the work any way. I questioned this and his non grasp of the regs and he said you dont break the regs you just bend them. My response is how does a 45 deg cable route from a spur bend the regs when it is clear there are safe zones to be followed.

I feel sorry for the apprentice. Guy seems like he knows his stuff and just having a bad start with getting site experience.

Any one else found anything like this?

Adam

Sponsored Links
My father tells me it was the same when he started. Seven years as an apprentice but all changed when he joined the navy but at least he didn't have to work on anything made in Germany!
He had to complete by doing a journeyman for two years 6 months in four different firms he was also able under government rules able to insist that he was employed instead of the guy who had no apprentice deeds (dilootee think they were called) even though the guy had been doing the work for 3 years.
Even when I was younger it was hard to look up rules. If you asked to look at regs book it was always "What do you want that for?" "Your a bit of a trouble maker aren't you?".
Only with the 16th Edition did it start to become acceptable to look at the rule book at work.
First time there was a reason to look at book other than to tell the boss he had it wrong. You had to pass an exam on the regulations.
Although wrong I can see how my dad may have done the same. Was this Plumber also 80+?

Why not notify the council and trading standards of this mans actions? Even more concerning than the fate of the apprentice is the shoddy work that he's carrying out, it's downright dangerous and eventually somebody will get hurt, hopefully the plumber himself. I hope god the guy doesn't do any gas work...

Sponsored Links
Nice to hear an appo who is trying to relate regs to reality. I find the apprentices I come across nowadays are too pushed to get their paperwork in place that they do not have the time to do proper training :cry:

Why not notify the council and trading standards of this mans actions?
plus_one.gif

As much as this will sound bad I do not want to get involved. I will offer my advice to the apprentice. What I do not get why he is getting experience with a plumber who does more plumbing that electrical!

He seems like a good guy and I have never worked with any one who would bring the reg books on site, it was all ways frowned upon when I was training and something you would not do or question some one else's work if they had done the reg course.

I think the plumber is just an old style guy who did his training back in the day and never did any updates since then and just let the regulation updates from 14th to 17th pass him.

In an ideal world I would be talking to the council, trading standards, and his college but I really do not want to get involved.

Adam

How can you come on here complaining about what this guy does (or doesn't do) and then do nothing about it yourself????

If you really are as upset about it as you say you are, report him.. He plainly shouldn't be carying out any electrical work!!!!!

This 'plumber' is a danger to himself, his apprentice and more importantly his clients. He has to be brought to book and I have never had any hesitation in reporting these people. It is people like this who give us tradesmen a bad name by not staying conversant with current regs. You may feel bad about reporting him but how bad would you feel if his training led to this apprentice causing a fire which killed someone?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back