Advice, Qualfications, Where to go next

S

sjwkmje

Hi All,

I hold a BTEC ONC in electrical and electronic engineering, part of my modules was electrical installation single and 3 phase, testing and inspection, various electronic modules. I did this while working for the NHS and this was all that was needed for me to design, install, test installations. Did a fair bit of inspection and testing. I did a module on the 16th edition as well and used this allot at work. Also got to play with backup gen sets.

Before part p spent 7 and a half years domestic installing (rewires, consumer unit changes, new circuits, out side supplies, lighting), industrial installing (3 phase star and delta), testing and inspection. Most of my work in a hospital would be tested,inspected, cert filled out by me but would also be checked by our on site super (its a hospital life critical circuits!). All my domestic work on the side I would borrow the test equipment from work that was calibrated (saved me buying me own). The bulk of the work was electronic, repair and maintance etc.

I left that job to start my degree in electronic engineering as I decided that's where I wanted to go. Now I have a taste for electrical work again and really enjoying it. Got a new part time job doing some industrial work. Really enjoying it. Again can borrow test equipment.

Started reading up on 17th edition and its drilled into me at work.

I am thinking I would like to get back into the electrical game.

What qualfication's do I need now to become a compitant person to work with part p?

Do I need to do my city and guilds 2330, 2391? What about a 17th edd course,could not find a city and guilds one.

What qualfications do you guys have? I am partically intrested in the self employed sparks out there.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Can't answer the last one, but AFAIK for NICEIC, for example, all you would actually need to register would be the EAL DI qualification (the so-called "5-day wonder", or frequently "Part P"), as long as you can demonstrate an ability to test. I believe NAPIT would require you to have 239x or their in-house testing qualification.

The DI course on its own is rightly regarded by most electricians as not being enough to create a properly skilled electrician, even if all they do is 100A SP work in people's houses, but in your case it sounds like you do have the skills and experience, so to a large extent it's up to you how far you want to go in being able to prove that via qualifications.

You ought to be capable, I should think, of just taking the 2382 & 2392 tests and not need the actual courses.

Unfortunatly ban... I think city and guilds have tightened up the requirements and don't anymore let people just take the exam without the course as well :( (perhaps someone can confirm?)

I got shipped off on monday for the day to sit in front of a lecturer while he went through the big red book and drew our attention to the bits that were new or altered (those who did their 16th edition prior to 2001 have to do a four day course covering the whole thing, not just the bits that have changed)... having done my update exam yesterday (30 questions on bits that have changed, rather than 60 on all of it like the 4 day folks)... I reckon I could have passed it without the course! [not my problem though... company paid for it all!]

OP, you'd be well advised to get the 17th edition qualification, if you want to sign up to self certify part P notifiable work then they'll want you to have that (if they don't insist on it now, and will for atm accept 16th... you can bet you bottom dollar it won't be long!), in order to prove that you know what the latest requirements are. 2392 would be an advantage, but most of the domestic schemes (excepting NAPIT) will let you in without it (as ban says), if you want to go for the full NICEIC approved contractor status though [that some commerical clients may insist on] then you'll need it

You can certainly take 2382-10 (or -20 if you have 2381) without doing the course - you can book it online via the IET web-site

Sponsored Links
I would say you will need a C&G 2382 (17th Edition) and either C&G 2392 (Cut down version) or full C&G 2391 they are not mandatory but without them it is hard to show you can do the work.
As for course and exam or exam only it seems the government has a league table for colleges and if they allow people to sit exams as external students it still registers on their position in the league so they will not take the chance of you failing and lowering their position.
Training establishments outside the league table list are not worried about this so will allow external students to sit the exams.
I think you will find the C&G 2330 a waist of time you already have above that level.
It is worth asking at your old college they may allow you to just take exam. I would ask your old lecturer rather than admin he may be able to swing it.
Lets face it the lectures taking 17th Edition 2382 course had when I took it still not got the qualification themselves.
Eric

My ONC is level 3, and I passed that with a double distinction. I remember when I did the electrical units on my first year people who had there city and guilds level 2 did not have to attend and was just passed in those modules. The second year every one had to attend. When I did the 16th module I could navigate the book faster than the leacturer as I used it at work allot. Apparently he only had his 15th at the time.

I did about 20 modules but we picked and matched the ones for submission so I got the core modules plus the ones I got 100% in so I could get the highest grade. So some of the modules are not on my final cert. My PLC programming one is. I even went and did level 3 PLC programming as part of a HNC but never finished as I left the job.

I will try and do a C&G 2382 (17th Edition).If I can just take the exams for the others I will do that. I will start to do some reading.

I would like to go it my self why finishing up my degree.

I feel that with my background I am compitent but I am all ways willing to learn more. I have done allot of house bashing.

Adam

As for course and exam or exam only it seems the government has a league table for colleges and if they allow people to sit exams as external students it still registers on their position in the league so they will not take the chance of you failing and lowering their position.
You'd need to be a bit special to fail though, wouldn't you...

And it's a nice little earner for them.

It is worth asking at your old college they may allow you to just take exam. I would ask your old lecturer rather than admin he may be able to swing it.
That will help, but if you can read without moving your lips and don't lick the windows they'll probably go for it - it's worth lobbying their Business Development Manager. When I did my EAL DI the pre-course interview was with him - it was supposed to check that you were going to be able to cope with the course.

The pre-course assessment consisted of two questions:

1) What is your name?

2) Have you got £600?

The pre-course assessment consisted of two questions:

1) What is your name?

2) Have you got £600?

You don't say whether you answered them correctly - are we to assume the worst :eek: :D

You don't say whether you answered them correctly - are we to assume the worst :eek: :D
Ha ha :evil:

I'm supprised at you bas... I wouldn't have thought it would have taught you anything you didn't already know?
TBH it didn't, but it was interesting to do, and the validation was satisfying.

One thing I did learn - if someone who didn't already know most of it did one of the private courses which really are over 5 days and not 10-12 weeks they would crash and burn.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will do some reading and see if I can just sit the exams. I take it there will be a pratical exam? Will there be any work with pyro? My skills with that stuff are not very good as I hardly use it. Might get some to play with in my spare time at home to improve my skills.

The pratical side what will they test? Just like to know what to expect.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back