what size cable is best?

lol this is what im doing here, asking for advice.

In future i wont bother asking for advice on a forum as people just seem to get frustrated and annoyed and turn a simple job into such a difficult one.

Anyway iv got what i wanted to know. I know its safe what im proposing so feel free to call me what you will lol. I thought this was a forum to ask for advice but it seems to me that all your wanting to do is criticize the questions im asking.

I can guarantee an electrician will fit this and complete this job in an identical way, using all the same materials.

Thanks for the abuse.

For those who have helped without getting annoyed, Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Id just like to know what size cable you would recommend for each appliance?

You were asking people here to do the design for you.

Please look at this again, and actually think about it this time:

I, craig20102010, being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I, craig20102010, have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2011 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

How does getting somebody else to tell you what size cables to use count as YOU doing the design, and how does it enable YOU to certify that YOU have done the design in accordance with BS 7671?

It's not that I didn't know. I was just asking to check and see what other people may recommend incase they suggested fitting a larger cable incase of future upgrades Etc or anything I may not of thought about. This is why I asked.

I know from looking at various sites what the cables are capable of handling.

I am the one responsible because I'm the one fitting it and when I get an electrician in to check it all over and fit the new consumer unit he will or should know if the cables that are fitted are the correct ones. I think it's best if I ask and double check with people first before i carry out the work. Didn't realise asking for advice is a crime. I thought this was the point of a forum.

I don't understand what your problem is. I'm doing the work, if your not happy to tell me just keep your mouth shut and I'll go looking else where. You don't need to be rude and call me this and that just because you don't agree with what I'm doing or what I'm asking.

Give me a break. Iv not been rude to any of you so I'd like to be treated the same.

How does getting somebody else to tell you what size cables to use count as YOU doing the design, and how does it enable YOU to certify that YOU have done the design in accordance with BS 7671?

B A S How do you know what current a cable can carry. ? I expect you had to learn where you could obtain the information before you came onto this forum. You will achieve far more by politely guiding and encouraging people to learn.

Posting a list of links is brutally informative and accurate but lacks any vestige of encouragement.

Sponsored Links
There was nothing impolite or brutal about my post containing links to useful educational material.

And nobody should need "encouraging" to do a proper job, least of all an engineer.

At least I'm not on my own with this.

The links were fine and very informative. It was the comments to follow that were annoying and insulting and really unnecessary.

I believed that coming on here was doing as you call it 'a proper job' to come on and seek information. I received the information but along with a load of cristism. As you said I didn't need encourageing I'd already came on the forum to seek the advice and information.

People skills go along way in life maybe I should post a couple of links up on that.

It was the comments to follow that were annoying and insulting and really unnecessary.
So which ones were they?

You may well have thought them unnecessary, and been annoyed by that, but insulting?

I believed that coming on here was doing as you call it 'a proper job' to come on and seek information.
I'd not be surprised if you consider this unnecessary, or annoyed at its repetition, but repeat it I shall, because you really don't seem to get it.

Asking people what size cable to use is asking them to do the design work for you. It is not asking for advice on how to become competent to do the design work yourself.

And you must become competent. You must be able to justifiably sign the declaration on an EIC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back