Good FGA readings don't require 'service' on LGSR?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for opinions on this. If you are required by GSIUR to produce annually a LGSR and well as being required to maintain gas appliances, then can a RGI use passable FGA readings to skip 'Appliance Serviced' box on a LGSR?

My gut feeling is that MI should rule and if MI say, for instance, to clean the heat exchanger, burner and burner injector, heat exchanger coils, etc, then regardless of FGA readings, you still have to do it and that is a service.

Sponsored Links
A Landlord's Gas Safety inspection does not require a service (however I won't do the former without carrying out the latter at the same time). It's up to the landlord to ensure that his appliances are maintained correctly. Some MI's state that, if certain readings are within set limits a full strip-down is not required.

A Landlord's Gas Safety inspection does not require a service (however I won't do the former without carrying out the latter at the same time).

I agree, yes, you aren't required to do a service on LGSR; however, if the tenant reports no boiler or fire repairs during the year, then no maintenance is carried out. So therefore how could you prove maintenance if you didn't service annually during LGS Inspection?

Some MI's state that, if certain readings are within set limits a full srtip-down is not required.

I've heard this, but have yet to come across a boiler's MIs that state this. Mind pointing to me one, please?

A Landlord's Gas Safety inspection does not require a service (however I won't do the former without carrying out the latter at the same time).

I agree, yes, you aren't required to do a service on LGSR; however, if the tenant reports no boiler or fire repairs during the year, then no maintenance is carried out. So therefore how could you prove maintenance if you didn't service annually during LGS Inspection?

Some MI's state that, if certain readings are within set limits a full srtip-down is not required.

I've heard this, but have yet to come across a boiler's MIs that state this. Mind pointing to me one, please?[/quote]

The WB Greenstar is an example.

Sponsored Links
The Worcester Greenstar range of condensing boilers do not require the h/ex to be cleaned if the control pressure is greater than specified figures.

The BS which CPA1 covers(which i'm sure ChrisR will know cos i cant remember) is where you'll find the figures reference service or not.

Ratio of 0.04 and 0.08 are the magic numbers,if you can get a boiler to produce anywhere near 0.08 the thing needs more than servicing.

FGA should still be used in conjunction with gas rate,bp working pressures,flame pictures and flue checks all of which are the basics of a LGSR. For actual conformation of what should be required for a LGSR read the back of the CP12(service is optional)

Personnaly wont LGSR a BBU without a service, wall hung is a different story.

the crux of the matter is what are you contracted to do by the landlord? if you are only instructed to do a safety check then that is all you do, if you are instructed to do a safety check and service then refer to the MI for sevice procedure, if RS appliance and MI say use FGA and if reading are XYZ then no further action required then that is fine as long as all other visual checks are confirmed as ok, if doing social housing work they have long since combined both in the tender and expect bothto be done, as a service does not include flue checks or tightness or visual inspection on tenants own appliances etc,

I always service the boiler on a CP12. The landlord is paying me for the first hour whether I take 5 mins with a FGA or strip the boiler down, so I strip the boiler and service.

Also covers my ar*e ;)

the crux of the matter is what are you contracted to do by the landlord? if you are only instructed to do a safety check then that is all you do, if you are instructed to do a safety check and service then refer to the MI for sevice procedure, if RS appliance and MI say use FGA and if reading are XYZ then no further action required then that is fine as long as all other visual checks are confirmed as ok, if doing social housing work they have long since combined both in the tender and expect bothto be done, as a service does not include flue checks or tightness or visual inspection on tenants own appliances etc,

That's it. I'm in social housing and the tender includes a service and I will not accept a LGSR without a service in order that we meet requirements to maintain under GSIUR.

I've had some new subbies provide LGSRs on Alpha CD35Cs, no service, with clean FGA readings. MI say strip down and clean at least annually. I'm just trying to understand the reason why someone would rely on FGA readings instead of following MI.

Our installation programme includes Greenstar 24i/28i juniors, so it was interesting to see in MI that provided minimum pressure is met, then there's no need to clean the heat exchanger.

To clean the heat exchangers on the greenstars you need a worcester flue brush kit, and the seal on the combustion chamber has to be renewed when it's been removed. So, more expense.

as long as you clearly state you wanted an annual safety check AND service then you have every right to demand a full service is carried out, as they have priced for both, you dont understand why the FGA is used instead of service the answer is 30-40 minutes per job, do you get audits done on the subbies? do you check how many "services" one guy does in a day some HA's dont really understand the importance of a good audit trail then when something goes wrong and we all look a bit deeper you find the subbie has his guys doing 12-14 per day and nobody has noticed, some HA's used to accept the lowest price and didnt care how many got done by a guy in a day but that attitude is changing now, do you pay a fair price to to allow a firm to do a full job

Got called to a BBU breakdown last night. The boiler had been CP12'd the day before by Gas-Elec.

Asked the tenant what had been done and she said 'not a lot'. I replied that I could see that, about 6" of cobwebs over everything, soot laying over the burner etc, the fire front could not have been removed at all.

Stripped it all out, hadn't been serviced in years. Cleaned blocked pilot. Boiler now working fine and safely.

Tested the fire front only to find a bad gas leak on the pipe from the gas valve to the fire burner. Touched it and the fitting just fell out :eek:

Tenants were watching as I done this. They were well p*ssed off and going to report/complain to managing company.

Oh, he had left the gas off at the ECV as well :rolleyes:

So the moral of the story is, a basic safety check is just not good enough, other than to make very quick money.

bbu's are a different story alltogether. even doing 'just' an fga safety check, you mnust give the boiler a good visual insepection. i dont understand how people can do that without removeing the fire :rolleyes: . weve just got rid of one subbie for this...after 10 years :rolleyes: . the last time this happened with me i was accompanied by onbe of our md's and i just thought id show him what a bb service looked like (we were out looking at a leaky rad). i too the fire off and the boiler was wearing a fur coat. 2 weeks after a sevice. :confused: .
same goes for warm air. yo can technically safety check one with an fga but again concience rules.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back