good idea?

B

breezer

the other day i saw a novel idea and i wondered wht the plumbers out there think is it good or bad?

some one had a TRV, but no radiator (missing due to redecoration) as we know, if the room gets cold a trv will open, flooding the place. someone had put a washing m/c in line valve

8071_l.jpg

one of these

and left it in the off position so if the trv opens no flood, i thought it was a quick, simple idea to avoid a flood, what are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
A very unfortunate idea, the sort of things which gets diy a bad image.
Not aimed at you Breezer - you asked the question, you didn't do it without finding out.

Those valves should never be left on a CH system because they always always leak. They aren't designed for CH.

Some TRV's have a "0" position which means off, for others you should have the cap which came with the thing, which replaces the thermostatic bit to turn the valve full off. Easy to get from the manufacturers.
Typical plumber's bodge is to use a spacer between the pin and the plunger thing on the head. 1 Eurocent coins ar e quite good! Then you turn the head until the pin is down , then a bit for luck.
The simple alternative is to screw a cap onto the valve union - usually 1/2" bsp. You can use a brass cap witha 3/4" float valve washer in it , or an iron cap with tape on the threads.

When renewing a rad I have propped a hair-dryer....

Re-reading I see that I was mistaken , though I thought I'd leave the above which refers to leaving a cheap isolating valve of that type in the pipe before the TRV.

The one in the piccy was put on the pipe in place of the TRV??? Can't see the point. If you're taking the valve OFF you might as well cap it! If the washing mc valve is going in place of the rad - why not just cap it as above. Perhaps a wmc valve was all the guy had.

the reason i thought it was good was because i also have seen a house (left empty at night while decorating going on) and the plumber forgot the radiators had trvs, it flooded the whole house and ruined the carpets and some of the electrical bits (which is why i was there)

Some TRV's have a "0" position which means off
My TVR have "0" position, does that mean it will not open ?

It a pity the manufacter haven't design one with a ballvalve built inside the TVR to shut it down,is it not possible or maybe you can buy them?

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Some TRV's have a "0" position which means off
My TVR have "0" position, does that mean it will not open ?

The ones which do definitely turn off have the "0" a long way from the other numbers it seems. I don't remember seeing any trvs older than a couple of years which do it, perhaps it's a recent idea. Quite often there's a * symbol meaning frost protection.

Breezer certainly the things need capping if left - I just can't see why a wmv is particularly suitable! Woss wrong with a normal cap!?

No not that one, I mean a cap such as you would buy in a plumbers merchant. A normal plumbing fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back