New radiator not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for reading!

I've just replaced a radiator that was not working, a plumber thought the trv was faulty but while the system was drained I replaced the rad as well as the trv.

System filled and whilst every other rad is five, new one is cold! Trv open, valve on the other side open, and it's full of water.

I tried turning off all the other rads in case the issue was balancing but this one still did not heat up at all.

Any ideas? All I can think of is that maybe the adaptors I re-used from the old rad to adapt the width (I guess plumbing was for a slightly wider imperial radiator, the one I replaced and the new one are 1200mm) may be blocked, I wish I'd checked before but hindsight is annoying sometimes, or the is a blockage elsewhere?

Any advice gratefully received, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Turn all rads off except for new and close bypass and see what happens, put pump up to number 3 if possible

What do you mean by close bypass? Not sure what you mean by 3 - water pressure?

To establish if water is getting into rad ,via both valves....
1. Close both valves fully.
2. Open the air vent ( bleed valve on top of rad). Some water will come out for a little while.
3.leaving the vent open ,then open the lockshield ,water should then come out the vent.
4. Close the lockshield .when water stops coming out the vent ,open the trv. Again water should flow from the vent.

If you have a combi boiler ,make sure the pressure is OK before and after.

This will confirm if there is a blockage on one side of the rad.

Sponsored Links
2. Open the air vent ( bleed valve on top of rad). Some water will come out for a little while.
3.leaving the vent open ,then open the lockshield ,water should then come out the vent.
4. Close the lockshield .when water stops coming out the vent ,open the trv. Again water should flow from the vent.

Thanks I'll give that a try

Yep, pressure from both sides

Do you have a combi boiler or conventional boiler with a small feed and expansion tank in loft ?

Close the TRV on ALL other radiators ( don't touch their lockshields ). Make sure both valves on your problem rad are fully open. Make sure boiler pressure is 1.5 bar minimum. Put central heating on. Have a second person monitor the pressure and top it up ,whilst you open the bleed valve on your problem rad ,being prepared to drain from it a fair bit until you get hot water coming out. Hopefully ,when you do ,close the bleed valve. See if it heats and remains working.

Close the TRV on ALL other radiators ( don't touch their lockshields ). Make sure both valves on your problem rad are fully open. Make sure boiler pressure is 1.5 bar minimum. Put central heating on. Have a second person monitor the pressure and top it up ,whilst you open the bleed valve on your problem rad ,being prepared to drain from it a fair bit until you get hot water coming out. Hopefully ,when you do ,close the bleed valve. See if it heats and remains working.
Thank you, I'll try that tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back